1978 FJ40 Wiring Harness Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the process of installing/making a new harness for a 1978 FJ40 that's mid-restoration. The problem is I'm not the one who took it apart, and I'm attempting to track down what each connector is for on the old factory harness, before I start building the new one. I found a picture of a 1978 harness that Coolerman posted with them all numbered, but I can't seem to find the corresponding list of what they are? Any help would be appreciated.
Wire Harness 12.78 resized.jpg

That looks so scary to me:rofl: I sent mine to @Coolerman last year and he did his magic. Some of the best money I spent on my project. Didn’t want to put all the time and effort in to everything else and have my electrical fail. If I had an electrical background it would have been something I’d try.

Well, that doesn't look like much fun.
Remember that the fuse panel sits just inside the driver door, under the dash. And work from there a bit?
Knowing what some of the plugs / wiring is for will tell you what general direction that part of the wiring went in. And some of the plugs along the way might make more sense. Looks like you're getting there on the second post...
And, I know on mine, all those wires aren't used, a lot of loose connectors hanging around, not all from the desmogging and change to electronic ignition.

I'm in the process of installing/making a new harness for a 1978 FJ40 that's mid-restoration. The problem is I'm not the one who took it apart, and I'm attempting to track down what each connector is for on the old factory harness, before I start building the new one. I found a picture of a 1978 harness that Coolerman posted with them all numbered, but I can't seem to find the corresponding list of what they are? Any help would be appreciated.View attachment 2359301

The correlating numbers in your picture, can be found in this tread, > FJ40 Wire Harness Reference <

I would approach this like a jigsaw puzzle. Lay it out like it's in the vehicle. Kind of the easy part like the outside edge of a puzzle. Then it will makes more sense what is located close to each plug. Just the a puzzle that the first inside pieces are the hardest the the plugs will be the hardest. But like a puzzle it just keeps getting easier with fewer options. Have the the pieces that plug into the ends handy will also help. Rust scares me wiring doesn't.

Last edited:
I'm in the process of installing/making a new harness for a 1978 FJ40 that's mid-restoration. The problem is I'm not the one who took it apart, and I'm attempting to track down what each connector is for on the old factory harness, before I start building the new one. I found a picture of a 1978 harness that Coolerman posted with them all numbered, but I can't seem to find the corresponding list of what they are? Any help would be appreciated.View attachment 2359301

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom