Builds 1978 FJ40. Waking up the ol’ girl! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Didn’t want to post this cause it kind of sucks but figured maybe it would help someone down the road...

Cleaned and lubed the rear fan and heater assembly. Good news it runs great. Blowers are no longer blowing the fuse. I had read that Rustoleum Pewter Gray is a good match to the interior gray/silver parts. Well....it’s not. I don’t think my ocd will let me live with it. May have to order a can from cruiser corps or just paint it black which is my go to!

View attachment 2266224

View attachment 2266225

I had the same issue after painting my heater. I just recoated it in flat black and even added a new decal. Not OEM but it looks great in my opinion.

I think I said I was going to take the day off from the Land Cruiser. Well .... my daughter said she wanted to work on it so here’s a teaser of what she has so far! Wow! Hired! Just using some combination oxidation remover plus wax that I had in the garage. Probably five years old. trying to minimize my trips to the store.

B8D75E23-E62C-4316-8A44-ECC342F509FF.jpeg

Tonight she is officially street legal! Tail lights installed and they actually work and do what they’re supposed to do! Surprised by that! Woohoo. Got some replacement side mirrors as well. I might try to pick up something a little more aggressive tomorrow for the paint. That quarter panel took about an hour and a half of non-stop buffing with the power wheel.. Trying to ignore that rust for now. Maybe I’ll tackle that next winter. So really all I have left to do is shocks, alignment, and work on getting the windshield wipers working. Then I’m just going to drive it through the fall....and maybe new weatherstripping… rattles like crazy. All the felt is rotten and there’s no weather stripping left on anything...oh and the parking brake...and....😂

0BF0F336-10D7-444C-8799-6165E6790D1B.jpeg

What's your wiper dilemma ?

Love what you're doing! I've got a 78 (oddly enough, I picked up in Wenatchee, WA) that I just got running last week. You're blazing through those projects (and making me feel like a slacker), keep up the good work! 🍻

View attachment 2268335

That’s cool! I’ve seen a few others for sale out there recently. Not a bad climate to find one. I’ve had a lot of time on my hands the last few weeks. Kind of obsessing about getting it to daily driver status before I have to go back to work.

Get a thread going!

They don’t work! 😁 i’m hoping that it just needs a good cleaning out and rehab of the motor. I haven’t spent any time even thinking about them yet.

I've been on the path to get mine working ! Motor works when bench tested but there's some wiring issue between the switch and motor connector. For now a couple coats of RainX on the windshield helps.

Another bonehead move on my part yesterday. Probably spent eight hours on the paint. The polish and buffing wheel was taking forever. Took about two hours just to get the driver side door. Figured there had to be a better way so I went out to my shop and found some sandpaper. Ive been a woodworker for years and 220 gives a glass surface so I found some 400 thinking wow this is going to be beautiful…oh dear. Wet sanded and did a great job of taking the oxidation off. It looked beautiful. Thinking I was a genius… And then it dried. Turned it into a dull, reddish pink. Crap. Figured I could fix it with the buffer. Nope. This morning I’m heading out to get some finer sandpaper. Hoping I can wet sand it with 1200 and maybe a little finer and then back to the polish. I’m really good about creating more work for myself! Photos dont really show how bad it looks but when you compare it to the left rear quarter which we did with just the buffer, the difference is huge. Oh and my shoulders are trashed! 😂

BDCD234C-049B-43C9-860B-08A71C160374.jpeg

F2894F53-8210-4ABB-8216-DBB3654290EC.jpeg

I've been on the path to get mine working ! Motor works when bench tested but there's some wiring issue between the switch and motor connector. For now a couple coats of RainX on the windshield helps.

That’s a good idea on the rain X. Well let me know…I’ll be curious to see how you get them going.

I believe so. I've been calling it "rust red." 🤷‍♂️

After seeing yours, I'm tempted to buff it out, but I'm afraid my paint is in worse shape.
I don’t know about that. Mine was actually a spray over. Decided it would be too much work to try to get to the original paint. right now I’ve been going through sandpaper. Wet sanding with 600, 1000, 1500, 2000. Then I hit it with the buffer and rubbing compound and then wax. I’ve got a lot of time into it but the results are pretty good. I was surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom