1978 FJ40...Vintage Air or Nostalgic Air System? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got this RHD Heat, Cool and Defrost UD-180 unit from Nostalgic Air, delivered early December. I did not opt for the whole system, mainly to save on shipping costs from US to UAE. Now patiently waiting till I take it back home and get it fixed and test in the coming summer. Came with the cables, grommets, cable operated heater valve, flexible hose, installation instructions, and a pod for Driver's side. Seems of a decent quality too.

Nostalgic AC Unit (1).jpeg

Nostalgic AC Unit (2).jpeg

Test fitting done last month for Nostalgic Air RHD unit. Waiting on the paint to finish for the final fit. There is a slight difference in the fitting on a RHD and a LHD vehicle for placement of the unit. The RHD unit tends to be more towards the passenger side, due to the blower cover touching the inside hump on the fire wall. LHD unit is more towards the center. I hope it performs well.

WhatsApp Image 2019-06-18 at 22.01.15.jpeg

Test fitting done last month for Nostalgic Air RHD unit. Waiting on the paint to finish for the final fit. There is a slight difference in the fitting on a RHD and a LHD vehicle for placement of the unit. The RHD unit tends to be more towards the passenger side, due to the blower cover touching the inside hump on the fire wall. LHD unit is more towards the center. I hope it performs well.

View attachment 2032930
Hi! How does the Nostalgic A/C fit in your FJ40 and how does it performs?? Is it cool enough?

Hi! How does the Nostalgic A/C fit in your FJ40 and how does it performs?? Is it cool enough?
Hi, I only have the test fitting photos at the moment from last year, which were taken during the body works. The AC install had been delayed during the build, but it is planned during this week as the BJ40 will go into the shop in a couple of days. Will let you know of the results hopefully early next week. It is peak summer these days back home, so result should be easy to tell.

WhatsApp Image 2019-06-18 at 22.01.15.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-06-18 at 22.01.16.jpeg

@ClassicLCfan - how did you fare? Any reports since install?

@ClassicLCfan - how did you fare? Any reports since install?
The install turned out pretty well. Summers here are pretty harsh. And I had no insulation on the floor and firewall, yet it performed well for the front passenger and the driver. People in the rear cabin did not get much cooling. The driver side pod also helped at front.

For the heater I got the heater valve plugged in in the plumbing, but my BJ40 does not have a thermostat valve installed in the vehicle cooling system, which means that the water temperature remains low, and the heating capacity of the unit decreases significantly. Honestly I may not end up using the heater much during winters, the current amount of heat is sufficient to keep the interiors warm.
In fact in my recent city ride during the day, it got pretty hot and I wanted to have the AC turned on, and strangely it didn't work despite the heater valve remaining at closed position and temperature setting at the lowest. Still need to get this checked and fixed.

i had the newer vintage AC system installed this past Phoenix summer. it was absolutely great. 110F, 115F....no issues. kept me more than cool enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom