craigslist 1978 FJ40 - Tri-Cities WA (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yes that is nice, right year and unmolested

Looks like a close twin to mine!

C86926CF-9602-4F1B-AB52-8BE3BE0573B3.jpeg

i Watched all the videos from eBay auction and it
Looks to be a pretty nice late 78.
I think the paint oxidation and aftermarket engine parts will keep it priced low.

Light reading I found related to this seller. Lots of dirt around here on this guy.

Last edited:
I think the paint oxidation and aftermarket engine parts will keep it priced low.

I've have loved the FJ40 for 25 years and I've been looking at them for the last couple years to familiarize myself on what to look for when I go to buy one in the next year or so. I want a late 78, which this is. I can tell by the side heat vents. I can see paint oxidation. What I am having problems with is the aftermarket engine parts. What I see in the engine bay is that it is desmogged, the radiator hoses are bulging and need replaced, it has an aftermarket exhaust manifold and it looks like an aftermarket carburetor.

What am I missing in the engine bay that's aftermarket?

Thanks for the learning experience.

FJ40 engine bay2.jpg

FJ40 engine bay.jpg

Last edited:
The seller is trying to sell this as a 42k original miles fj40, but he knows the law and states it as odometer exempt. I am not judging it by 42k or 142k original miles and believe it looks to be solid and in good condition.
The missing under hood engine parts are what you already noted, plus the missing windshield wiper fluid hoses to squirter. I also noticed rubber floor mats are missing and that’s uncommon in a low mileage fj40.
I have a 1978 fj40 with all the documents and paperwork to verify 86k original miles and it has a horrible body compared to the red 78.
I do know that mine has all the original parts, including rubber floor mats in perfect condition and runs awesome.
I also paid $4k for it and will sink $10k to get body back in shape.

D1446655-6950-4734-8F56-91152B5E9C11.jpeg

Ben, thanks for the info on the engine bay. I'm no where near ready to buy but, I'm trying to make myself as knowledgeable as possible so that when I am ready I will be able to see problems and warning signs to be able to buy with confidence.

I love your 78, there is so much potential there. I'm going to enjoy watching it come together.

I bought a 67 from him a couple of years ago. It was as advertised . The guy used to buy to restore and or flip a lot of cruisers years ago. He is into Chevy c-10’s now . He has bought out all the parts from a shop in Yakima on knob hill that used to specialize in 40’s when they closed.
He still has a lot of contacts he has made over the years from going to a lot auctions for classic cars and cruiser events . So people call him up on occasion to sell their rigs. You have to remember there are a lot of older guys that still have cruisers and don’t use the internet to its fullest potential . They have lives to live and don’t want to waste what time they have left on ih8mudd. :) .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom