1978 FJ40... transfer case slapping guard... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so i noticed a small clank clank of something slapping around a couple weeks ago... wasn't able to see what was loose... no exhaust or anything else visible... it got worse and now can see what it is... the bottom of the transfer case is a few mm away from the bolt on protection plate and is not clanking excessively and violently... i have not taken off the transfer hump yet but, have retired it to the garage until i check it out further...

the gear shifting has also become sloppy and noisy... assuming it is getting out of line...

is this a sign of a cracking trans case somewhere where it mounts?

thanks-

(original 4 -speed case)

so i noticed a small clank clank of something slapping around a couple weeks ago... wasn't able to see what was loose... no exhaust or anything else visible... it got worse and now can see what it is... the bottom of the transfer case is a few mm away from the bolt on protection plate and is not clanking excessively and violently... i have not taken off the transfer hump yet but, have retired it to the garage until i check it out further...

the gear shifting has also become sloppy and noisy... assuming it is getting out of line...

is this a sign of a cracking trans case somewhere where it mounts?

thanks-

(original 4 -speed case)

I don't think so. I just swapped my transfer case and tranny and I checked the casings out before installing and I have the same rattle. I can hold the t-case shifter and it stops. I put bushings in my linkage prior to install as well. I'm thinking an adjustment issue because mine will pop out of 2 hi at times.

have you checked the 2 front motor mounts, mostly the driver side goes bad

also the rear mounts could have play in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom