1978 FJ40 Tie Rod end thread mismatch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Hey team,
Anyone seen his and familiar with how to address? I decided to swap my tie rod ends since i have no idea when that was last done and PO seems to have seriously neglected this rig for a while. Te two main ends when in perfectly. However, the drag link bar seems to be of a different thread pitch than the main rod and the stock ends I received form CoolCruisers. 15 metric for stock OEM but the drag rod threads are 18SAE. Any idea of this is a diff drag rod possibly and where I might find a stock one?
Thanks!
Steve

IMG_2904.jpg

You sure that’s right? 18tpi is pretty close to a 1.5mm pitch (17tpi)
Yeah, I know it’s super close but it’ll thread in the rod about 3/4” before it starts to bind up. I don’t wanna cross thread it so thought I’d ask here first. Threads are most definitely different as far as I can tell.

Is there anything in the steering that isn't factory? If so what was changed and pictures might help.

Yeah, I know it’s super close but it’ll thread in the rod about 3/4” before it starts to bind up. I don’t wanna cross thread it so thought I’d ask here first. Threads are most definitely different as far as I can tell.

The rods ends tend to get crimped from the clamp and often need to be spread open a bit or have the threads chased.

so, after looking very closely at all ends it seems ONE is different from all the others. Thread shoulder is different, head is different and thread pattern different. See the picture of all the old and one new. The red arrow points to the offering tie rod end. The rod itself was fine on one end and the other one, where the offending tre is, will not take the new tre. Not sure the PO tapped the drag end to match it but looks like I'm may have to do as you say and chase those threads again. Time for a trip to the auto parts store to see if I can find a matching thread tap.

IMG_2905.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom