1978 FJ40 STALLING AFTER COUPLE MINUTES OF DRIVING (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
SPECS:
1978 LC
Only modification is the Holley Sniper EFI

I always warm the LC up until the engine temp reaches around 140. *about 7 mins in the driveway.

It happens almost everytime, but as soon as I leave my house and reach the next stop light. The LC always stalls/dies. Luckily it starts up every time and continues to run.

Today though, it stalled out 3 times.

Never has it done this before.

ANY IDEAS?

stalls as tho it was running out of gas? or stalls l as tho someone turned the key off?

stalls as tho it was running out of gas? or stalls l as tho someone turned the key off?
Stalls as if someone turned it off. Radio stays on though. Pump, filter, are all brand new. Came with the Sniper kit.

when I come to a stop at the same light, it always stalls. But always cranks over when I start it again.

I think I would call Holley and let them help you troubleshoot it.

when I come to a stop at the same light, it always stalls.

Don't drive to that light. :)

Seriously though, there are several Sniper tuning threads both here and in the 60 forum; I would start there.

Yeah what happens when you take a different route and drive it longer

The idle warm up period seems excessive....what happens when you don't do that

My TBI setup did this for a few weeks and I found that my @#$%#$^^ dual tank switching valve was leaking air into the system and causing low fuel pressure. I would be SURE that all your fuel system fittings are tight. Most EFI systems live and die by strong/solid fuel pressure, so be sure yours is without fault.

SPECS:
1978 LC

I always warm the LC up until the engine temp reaches around 140. *about 7 mins in the driveway.

It happens almost everytime, but as soon as I leave my house and reach the next stop light. The LC always stalls/dies. Luckily it starts up every time and continues to run.

ANY IDEAS?
74 FJ/ I'm embarrassed but went to 3 mechs and 3 weeks and $300 bucks later, "I PERSONALLY" found my carb hot wire was wired through alternator. Only now after 15 years of off and on driving this it just started to stall at lights after warming up. Atleast "I" found it and saved embarrassment. This is for anybody that has one with a hundred modifications like me. You'd never in atleast 3 weeks and after a few mechanics, find this. Hope this helps someone.

74 FJ/ I'm embarrassed but went to 3 mechs and 3 weeks and $300 bucks later, "I PERSONALLY" found my carb hot wire was wired through alternator. Only now after 15 years of off and on driving this it just started to stall at lights after warming up. Atleast "I" found it and saved embarrassment. This is for anybody that has one with a hundred modifications like me. You'd never in atleast 3 weeks and after a few mechanics, find this. Hope this helps someone.
Oh, I rerouted to hot wire at fuel pump going through the firewall.

SPECS:
1978 LC

ANY IDEAS?
Just posted this below. One in million shot. I'm prob the first idiot to have this one. Had my fj40 15 years. Even had 2 before this one. I had this same prob 3 weeks till today. I just found my carb is hotwired through alternator. DUMBASS ME. Rerouted to fuel pump hotwire. I pray this helps another dumbass like me some money. Wasted $300 with three shops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom