1978 Fj40 Sputtering and Loss of Power FIXED (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, this is pretty embarrassing but I thought I would share my latest hiccup on the 40 this past weekend in hopes that it may help someone else that was having similar issues.

A few weeks ago I randomly had a big loss of power and the truck would not get above 45 mph. Started sputtering extremely bad and would not idle unless I helped it.

I initially thought to look towards a fuel related issue. Clear plastic fuel filter was only a 1/4 full but each time I looked at the sight glass in the carb it was in the middle of the window. (I rebuilt the carb last year with the aisin rebuild kit). I still against better judgement thought that it was still fuel related and did the fuel pump test, cranked the truck for 15 seconds and it pumped roughly half a cup in that time so that seemed fine. fuel pressure was close to 5psi. So the pump seemed to check out fine. I took the top piece off of the carburetor and cleanout out the bowl and all of the jests and passageways even though they all looked clean.

I had an extra fuel filter so I threw a new one on and it still had the same symptoms. I have the power steering pump bracket from JT Outfitters on in (AWFUL product. Alignment is off by a landslide do to the machining of the bracket where it bolts to the top of the head.) It wears down the belt extremely quickly so I took it off and decided to desmog the truck at the same time due to the smog pump making a grinding noise. When i desmogged everything i noticed one of the vacuum lines had come loose but i attributed this to me working around in that area and i moved on.

When i got it all back together and took it out for a test drive the truck ran amazing. Tons of power and absolutely no sputtering. the next day i was driving it and the same symptoms came back. again i started looking at fuel issues but sight glass was full right where it was supposed to be. I then started to think that it could be spark related but the truck ran good at low rpms but would just fall on its face when you tried to get into it. This is where my stupidity was luckily nipped in the butt.

I pulled my vacuum gauge tester and when i was going to hook it up to the manifold i noticed the same vacuum line had popped off again. (same one that i hooked up the week prior after i noticed it was running bad) I looked into this further and the end of the vacuum line was slightly cracked and did not make a snug fit to the nipple. I cut about 1/2" off of it, put it back and threw a zip tie on it and cinched it down good and took it out for another drive. It's been two days and truck is back to running amazing. All along it was just the vacuum line sliding off and in turn this created a HUGE vacuum leak which made the truck not want to idle and run extremely poorly upon heavy acceleration and highway speeds.

It makes sense now because i would assume that it had such a large vacuum leak that it would not allow the carburetor to operate properly. Anyways Even though i feel dumb for this hopefully this will help others if they have similar symptoms.
Check your vacuum lines!!

ALSO - I know there are lots of writeups on desmogging a 2F but i never found a thread that had a ton of pictures clearly showing which lines to disconnect and which ones to keep. If y'all would like i can grab some pictures and post a writeup on desmogging my 1978 2f.

1649718276257.jpeg

can you post a pic pf which line came loose ? Curious for a future project fix we have coming up...
I apologize for the shaky highlight job I did but it is the one that goes directly into the base of the carburetor.

B613D20D-9CA7-4B32-B9C7-C2930BEE07A1.jpeg

E4D705A0-BB0E-4668-B195-C043DC37001A.jpeg

I apologize for the shaky highlight job I did but it is the one that goes directly into the base of the carburetor.

View attachment 2985580

View attachment 2985581
Hey @SnowSquatch Im fairly new to the FJ's but have an 81 that is smoggged (would like to keep it that way for oiriginality), but can you tell me more about 1) what can gauge you are using and 2) where is best spot to test vac? Id like to get a vac "health check" on my system and not sure where to start. Cheers!

Hey @SnowSquatch Im fairly new to the FJ's but have an 81 that is smoggged (would like to keep it that way for oiriginality), but can you tell me more about 1) what can gauge you are using and 2) where is best spot to test vac? Id like to get a vac "health check" on my system and not sure where to start. Cheers!
Yep like numby said, any part store carries vacuum gauges. They're cheap and a very useful tool to test a variety of faulty symptoms.

There is a port on top of most intake manifolds that is the size of a generic small vacuum tube. Some early model trucks didn't have this port but your 81 should without a doubt have one. The next picture I post it will be the line that is highlighted in green.

Best of luck and welcome to the Land Cruiser Family.

Yep like numby said, any part store carries vacuum gauges. They're cheap and a very useful tool to test a variety of faulty symptoms.

There is a port on top of most intake manifolds that is the size of a generic small vacuum tube. Some early model trucks didn't have this port but your 81 should without a doubt have one. The next picture I post it will be the line that is highlighted in green.

Best of luck and welcome to the Land Cruiser Family.
Here is the pic of the vacuum line I use on top of the intake manifold.

F05E5AED-0CF5-4F7E-9B0B-0BAF3E52461E.jpeg
Highlighted in green***

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom