1978 FJ40 Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

POPO AGIE

SILVER Star
Threads
This is my 1978 FJ40 I bought new in Cheyenne, Wyoming in 1978 that I am going to finally get started on re-powering and restoring.

I have decided on using the Cummins R2.8 with the H55F and split transfer case.

In 1991 I was in an accident with a 1991 F350 dually that was also totaled in the collision. From what I have seen of other rebuilds my body is not in that bad of shape as I thought it was. Most of the body parts I need are bolt on. The only dent that worries is the drivers side cowl were the hinge was pushed into the cowl so looks like I will have to remove the steering column to get in there and push it back out.

It has a 155F engine in it now that was donated when the 2F, head had burnt valves from spending a year in Portland, OR with a head that was milled 0.050" and could not get jets, large enough for the Rochester carburetor and had to drive adjusting the choke to keep it from knocking. Was not a problem at 6200 foot elevation.

Plan to replace the rear axle with an FJ40 full floating axle and upgrade the shafts and upgrade the front axle Berfield axles also.

IMG_0352.JPG

IMG_0353.JPG

This is my 1978 FJ40 I bought new in Cheyenne, Wyoming in 1978 that I am going to finally get started on re-powering and restoring.

I have decided on using the Cummins R2.8 with the H55F and split transfer case.

In 1991 I was in an accident with a 1991 F350 dually that was also totaled in the collision. From what I have seen of other rebuilds my body is not in that bad of shape as I thought it was. Most of the body parts I need are bolt on. The only dent that worries is the drivers side cowl were the hinge was pushed into the cowl so looks like I will have to remove the steering column to get in there and push it back out.

It has a 155F engine in it now that was donated when the 2F, head had burnt valves from spending a year in Portland, OR with a head that was milled 0.050" and could not get jets, large enough for the Rochester carburetor and had to drive adjusting the choke to keep it from knocking. Was not a problem at 6200 foot elevation.

Plan to replace the rear axle with an FJ40 full floating axle and upgrade the shafts and upgrade the front axle Berfield axles also.

View attachment 2616840

View attachment 2616841
There appears to be an old black car in your way. If you need, I can take it away for you.......:p

That sounds like an awesome plan. Keep us updated!
I have to get started. I have dragged it from Wyoming to PA and back to Wyoming. Once my Ram is paid off will be spending the money on the old Cruiser. I am relieved that most of what it needs is still available.
My occupation keeps me away from home a lot, but now when I am home there is a lot to do getting things apart that need to be rebuilt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom