SOLD 1978 FJ40 Indiana 416 Dune Beige, SBC, SM465, Locked, Geared Etc. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Mileage
1978 FJ40 416 Dune Beige, SBC, SM465, Locked, Geared, Etc. Etc.

I’ve owned this 40 for 13 years, bought off of Mud from Utah, had it shipped to Indiana. I’ve had 8 buy or sell transaction in 16 years off of Mud, none of them local and all have been good transactions.

Work done by previous owner:

SOA with cut and turn front axle done by Proffitt’s and using LC springs.
SBC with SM465 trany but the old SB 400 ci spun a bearing and I upgraded to a new motor, details below. Has a cruiser transfer case.
Drivers side floor and bed sides replaced.
Saginaw Steering
4 wheel disc brakes
Anti-wrap bar on rear axle.
Aluminum radiator/ dual electric fans, has never gotten hot.
Marlin Hy steer

Work Done Since I Bought:

New GM Performance Crate 350 installed professionally in 2015 with only 1k miles on it now. Compression 8.5:1 so it takes regular pump gas. All parts in these engines are brand new. 600 cfm carburetor.
New clutch at time of motor.
Warn 8274-50 winch w/ steel cable, mounted in front bumper that I built.
Full Metal Tech Roll Cage tied into the frame and powder coated.
Swing away spare tire rear bumper with cooler rack, my build.
ARB air lockers front and back.
4:88 gears
Longfield axles in front
Original front 40 seats reupholstered without head rest.
Confer rear seat with storage.
Allied beadlocks with 37”x12.50 R17 BFG KM2’s with 80-90%, under 2k miles. Also matching spare.
Dual cardon rear drive shaft

New paint was done professionally in 2019. Original color was white, it was drab green when I got it and I have always loved dune beige so I went with 416 dune beige. The dash and the engine compartment are still the original factory paint. I also had them replace the bed floor due to some rust.
One rocker was cut when I bought this 40 so I cut the other side and built sliders using rectangular tube then used ¼” plate steel for steps that mimic the shape of the factory step. I used an original 40 step as the template. These are rock solid.

There is a skid plate under the trany and the transfer case.
New power steering pump
New brake master cylinder
New slave cylinder
New windshield
New starter
New rear brakes

The 40 has a small oil leak that appears to be between the trany and TC.
The parking brake barely grabs, maybe because of oil leak, maybe needs a rebuild, maybe both, not sure.

When I bought this 40 the first thing I did was take the top and doors off and have never used them since. See pics below but the top has some rust, glass is all good and the original ambulance doors have some rust, mostly on one side. I have 2 sets of side doors, one set is real nice no rust but the very tops need slight straightening apparently from a tree I guess, the other set has a little rust in the bottoms. I do have a Best Top soft top that is in nice shape and soft half doors that are in good shape. See pics for all of this.

If all of the doors and the tops are not wanted, then we can negotiate that in the price. Asking price will include everything. Adjust down if this stuff isn’t wanted.

If someone does buy this with the top, I do NOT intend to put the top on the 40 before sale. The top has been stored on a little utility trailer for 13 years, you can have and keep this trailer to haul the top if you like.

This 40 is a very nice, comfortable, capable crawler, fun to wheel and also drives pretty nice on the road, just not at interstate speeds. It doesn’t have a tach but I’m comfortable driving in the low 60’s mph (actual speed) no faster because of the engine revs, going by “ear”. Because of the re-gearing the speedo is off about 10%.

Odometer is at 63k (was 61k when I bought it)
For quicker response use my cell # below instead of message through Mud although I will answer a message.
If you call and miss me please leave me a VM and i will call you back.
Let me know if you want more pics or info.
Should see 40+ pics below.

$26,000

My cell 260-242-0509 -Tom

1 40 done front side by barn.jpg
2 40 done side by barn.jpg
3 40 Pre Paint at Washita.PNG
4 40 After in driveway (small).jpg
5 40 bed repaired from front.jpg

Beautiful 40, the 762 photos don't do it justice. Hope it finds a good home

Tom I remember talking with you about trading my 80 for this truck a couple years ago... truck came a long way since then. I should have jumped on it when I had the chance! It looks GREAT now. Good luck with the sale man.

Did you get another project?

Tom I remember talking with you about trading my 80 for this truck a couple years ago... truck came a long way since then. I should have jumped on it when I had the chance! It looks GREAT now. Good luck with the sale man.

Did you get another project?
I do remember that!
This 40 has definitely evolved over the years. The new owner picked it up yesterday, it will be living out of Lexington KY and will be used with his kids on the trails!
I bought a FJ45 off of Mud that will not be a project, its pretty much "done". Im sure i will find a few things to tweek it to my taste.
Its Leroy Cordova's red 45 currently in the classifieds. Being picked up tomorrow and i should see it by this Thursday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom