For Sale 1978 FJ40 - in Georgia (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I may go take a look and drive this one tomorrow:

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/toyota/fj-cruiser/2233775.html

It is listed at $29,999 but the listing doesn't show much in the engine or underneath. I would be interested in input on: A) Things to look for/at? B) What might it be worth (based on various levels of restoration)? and C) Whatever other smart (not 'smart-ass') comments you all might have. Follow the link above. Thanks all!

40th (but no 40)

P.S. Sorry I didn't know exactly how to capture pictures and post them here...

That is a poor example of a $10,000. fj. Rust, bondo, mismatched screws, bolts missing bolts. Overall poor Maaco paint joy, stay away and wait for the right one to become available. I love seeing guys asking High $$$ for Fj's in this shape as it only makes the truly nice ones worth more. Enjoy the search that is half the fun.

Maybe we should post this listing in the "dreamer of the week" thread 🤣!

I agree with the posts above. I wouldn't give more that $10k for it, and that is only if it ran perfect and the A/C blew ice cold.

Keep looking and asking for help here on MUD. There are a lot of GREAT people who can help you find a good one at a fair price.

Good luck!!

I’m sure you’ll get lots of opinions here, but I’d suggest you walk away from this one and keep looking. Good luck with the search, it’s part of the fun.

OK after looking again at pics on a bigger screen and your new pics, I'd like to revise my suggestion above: Don't walk away, run!

Yeah....this really illustrates how hard it is to inspect a vehicle when the seller posts "favorable" pics only.

Heavens to Murgatroyd:eek:

YIKES!!

$30k? I wouldn't pay anything over $7k for it. It's a project and a half. Needs a full resto and I'd say a new tub. That one's probably iflled with more bondo than you can imagine. Every single piece of rubber hose and gasket needs to be replaced. What a shame...that's why you always gotta check it out in person.

I agree with the above, that red 40 that @overton is selling is a much better candidate.

If you’re serious, I have a 81, 2 owner , original paint, A/C with 98k original miles with every service receipt, titles, ect going back to 1983. I love this rig but would part with it for $29k

Thanks all, but I thought I made it clear that it was a no-go on this truck.
If you look back at the Hemmings.com post and then look at the pictures I took, this is a great example of how risky it is to buy a vehicles over the internet without seeing it in person first.
I have been on the lookout for several years, but there are a precious few to be found here in the southeast. So I was eager to look at this one in Georgia. A lot of the 40's in Atlanta & Charlotte are from Latin America...but good quality, largely original, American market trucks are as scarce as hens teeth around here.
I don't mind shipping from the west, but it is always dangerous to bid or buy from merely an internet ad. That was the ultimate lesson of this post.
So I'll keep looking. As many of you said, the hunt is half the fun!

Again $30,000.00 might be a little high for this one, but I know they are appreciating

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom