1978 FJ40- external resistor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@erm6266 it will be interesting to see what turns out the be the problem.
Do you like to keep it original? If not, if the "yakuza" sp? wire is frazzled, and you can't find a replacement, you can always splice in a normal wire, and add a ceramic ballast resistor down near the coil.

Thank you to all members that responded with their valuable advice. But, it seems that I have cause a riff between two members and that was sorely not my intention. For that, I will delete this thread no longer seek advice. I will figure this issue out on my own (or have it towed in to have the experts figure it out).

Thanks again for your help.

@erm6266

No riff on my part ... PLEASE don’t delete this!!

I apologize for any and all perceived friction!!

This thread is title “1978 FJ40- external resistor”... I’ve been trying to steer you to an answer to your original question, while another has suggested you NOT even read the answer.

I’ve tried to clarify, as best I can, while another has argued against the PINK resistor wire, with no knowledge of it, as it sits in the FJ40 harness.

Once @Saguaro has been on MUD for more than a minute, he’ll learn who the various experts are... you can take what @Coolerman says to the bank. He knows more about FJ40 electric than probably anyone else on here.

If you are looking for info for the pink wire, I have given you ample information to find it, work with it and understand it.

If you aren’t a purist, please disregard all I‘ve said and continue down the other path.

Either way, I have nothing further to offer, regarding your initial question... I’ll move on now and wish you the best of luck.

Cheers!!

Last edited:
If post #30 is how older members treat newer members here, you can have your little click. Good luck to all.
This will allow erm6266 to come back. Win Win.

Last edited:
Thank you for your support. I do have good news, I found the problem and she started right up.

I checked continuity from the black/yellow wire from the ignition switch to the plug for the igniter (also black/yellow). It had continuity so that tells me no breaks in the wire from the ignition switch. I also had 12 volts at the ignitor plug when I turned the key "on". Next, I checked continuity from the igniter plug to the positive side coil wire and didn't have a circuit. Further inspection, I noticed the wire from the ignitor plug to the coil had been spliced at some point years ago. I stripped the heat shrink and discovered the crimped connection was not making contact with the wire (pulled away).

I repaired the connection, turned the key to the "on" position and finally had voltage to the coil. After the repair, she started right up.

All that damn work under the dash, tracing the ignition wire through the harness, trying to identify the resistor wire, and the problem was right in front of me the entire time. lol But, at least it was an easy fix.

I want to take this opportunity to thank all of you members for your expert advice and support. All of you made some great points trying to help me diagnose the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom