Builds The LF40 Wheeler Build - Twin Turbo & 8 Speed Auto FJ40 (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It would extend your drivetrain like 8” .
I have a 203 doubler.

4-1 gears in the t case puts you at 120:1 or 135:1 depending on which Nv4500 you have. That’s pleeeenty.

So you could just keep the adapter you have an bolt an Orion in to accomplish this.

The AA adapter is already like 6.5" long. I don't think that it will be too much longer. The big thing with the doubler is that it is the compound low options instead of being stuck with the 4:1 constantly which is a lot better. I wont change split case gears, ss it will lower my high, and the Black Box is only about $150 more than an orion.

The AA adapter is already like 6.5" long. I don't think that it will be too much longer. The big thing with the doubler is that it is the compound low options instead of being stuck with the 4:1 constantly which is a lot better. I wont change split case gears, ss it will lower my high, and the Black Box is only about $150 more than an orion.

The black box doesn’t replace the NV4500 tailhousing like the AA adapter does. It bolts to a regular NV4500 tailhousing. So add the length of a Blackbox to what you have now.

The black box doesn’t replace the NV4500 tailhousing like the AA adapter does. It bolts to a regular NV4500 tailhousing. So add the length of a Blackbox to what you have now.

Does it? I have the trimmed output shaft, so that may not be an option.

Furthermore I don’t think having a huge range of gears is really that handy of a feature.
Like I said, I have been running almost the exact same setup you would be doing (except a 203 instead of a 241 based crawl box) for five years now.

I would do a single t-case with a low gear for how I use the truck if I was doing it again.

Furthermore I don’t think having a huge range of gears is really that handy of a feature.
Like I said, I have been running almost the exact same setup you would be doing (except a 203 instead of a 241 based crawl box) for five years now.

I would do a single t-case with a low gear for how I use the truck if I was doing it again.

Good to know. I do have my concerns about the orion, but the current low I have is not what I am wanting.

What’s your concern with the Orion?

Mainly the shifting and popping out in low. I know they have fixed some problems, but I've heard that they still sorta do it.

Mainly the shifting and popping out in low. I know they have fixed some problems, but I've heard that they still sorta do it.
I like mine and it doesn’t pop out of low- it has popped out of high a couple times tho. Mostly descending on Teton pass, fortunately my four wheel discs were able handle the slowing duties. Despite this, I still feel it’s a good alternative to the old case. 4:1 with a sm465 is lovely low range. If it’s to low I shift into a 2nd or 3rd. The nv4500 should yield similar results. 5.29’s would be even better.
If your heart is set on the doubler go for it. Options are nice to have.

I like mine and it doesn’t pop out of low- it has popped out of high a couple times tho. Mostly descending on Teton pass, fortunately my four wheel discs were able handle the slowing duties. Despite this, I still feel it’s a good alternative to the old case. 4:1 with a sm465 is lovely low range. If it’s to low I shift into a 2nd or 3rd. The nv4500 should yield similar results. 5.29’s would be even better.
If your heart is set on the doubler go for it. Options are nice to have.

I don't really think I can run a doubler, which Matt pointed out. I think the Orion is probably going to be the best to get the low range I want.

I used a Orion since 2007. Do problems popping out of low range but I have had problems locking in 2nd or 4wd. I pretty much have fixed those issue. If you can get a good deal I would run it. But if I had the drivetrain you have I probably would run some Beefy-er. Overall I been happy with my 4:1 Orion. It is the full case that AA no longer makes available.

I used a Orion since 2007. Do problems popping out of low range but I have had problems locking in 2nd or 4wd. I pretty much have fixed those issue. If you can get a good deal I would run it. But if I had the drivetrain you have I probably would run some Beefy-er. Overall I been happy with my 4:1 Orion. It is the full case that AA no longer makes available.

What do you think you would run?

Sorry. My response to your question was incorrect. If I had the power you have I would run a NV 4500 and Atlas. My response was for my present drivetrain

Sorry. My response to your question was incorrect. If I had the power you have I would run a NV 4500 and Atlas. My response was for my present drivetrain

An atlas would be really nice, expensive though. I'm not sure if I would have enough rear drive shaft left then.

I think running the split case with 4:1 gears would be good. I wouldn't run 3:1 gears, not low enough.

My only problem with the split case gears is the 10% reduction of the high range.

Oh. Yeah that would be pretty low for the street if you already have 5.29s. Unless you went back to the 4.10s which you may not feel like doing.

I do want to, but I don't want to spend the money again. :doh: . Really, my ultimate drivetrain would be the NV with an atlas 4 speed, and then 4:10s in the axles.

One thing I have noticed with some friends with the 4:1 low range is that in mud/snow reverse is too low. To get any wheel speed, they have to shift to high to reverse.

One thing I have noticed with some friends with the 4:1 low range is that in mud/snow reverse is too low. To get any wheel speed, they have to shift to high to reverse.

Thats the big reason I want a doubler, cause i can maintain a useable low, and then crawl when I need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom