1978 FJ40 2F Engine swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello! We've begun an engine swap on my wife's FJ, and I thought I'd document the progress as we go. She had a nice 2F in it, but it overheated and knocks, so we opted to but another 2F in it to keep it original. Big thanks to Lynchmob here in IH8mud for a great deal on a pulled and running 2F!

This is our first engine swap, and so far it's been quite enjoyable. We're learning a lot about the truck!

The truck in question:

5804776956_e543cba1a7_z.jpg

The old engine:

5823030097_7a1d275dcd_z.jpg

Fancy hinging front clip. Nice!

5823595320_1c68506607_z.jpg

Radiator out:

5823595698_633bcce25c_z.jpg

Disconnecting all the bit- labeling and taking lot of picture!

5823596290_6c26cab095_z.jpg

Too much fun?

5823033907_fb1c12bd53_z.jpg

Done for the day, about 5 hours. Should be able to have the engine out after another day of work.

5823597222_477f05200e_z.jpg

The replacement engine was from a 60 series, and has a new clutch and "3f" bellhousing. Since we havent seen the 40's setup out of the truck yet, can anyone tell me if the clutch/bellhousings are compatible?

Thanks,
Ryan and Maren

Last edited:
The replacement engine was from a 60 series, and has a new clutch and "3f" bellhousing. Since we havent seen the 40's setup out of the truck yet, can anyone tell me if the clutch/bellhousings are compatible?

Thanks,
Ryan and Maren

Depends on tranny mounts and I think the slave is on the other side

And you wont have to mod the bellhousing when you break down and buy a h55f

Last edited:
Pull the engine trans/case out as a unit. then you will see your FJ60 bell housing won't work.. it has no place for the mounts on the sides.......since you have to swap these, install a new rear main seal while there.....your 60 will have a huge motor mount on the passenger side front that also holds the AC compressor, this will hit the battery box, so use the 78, I prefer to use all externals off the year of the truck......one thing I would keep is the oil cooler which your 78 don't have.
Engine and trans are impossible to install unless you do them as a unit. I take the bell housing mounts off, as they always seem to hit on the way out and in....another trick is to roll the truck instead of trying to roll the engine hoist, much easier, a ratchet strap from the post on the hoist to the engine helps keep it from twisting....IF you got the distributor coil and ignitor, this is a better ignition system than your 78...

If you have not done it yet, remove the bib and the front bumper, by the time ya get all that weight on the hoist, you want the arm in all the way, not extended, so it won't tip toward the truck, an you will need that room up there.......I've done too many of these to count, so if ya need anything PM me.....

Thanks Texican and others, that is really good information! I'll post up once we put another day into it.

Cheers,
Ryan

So, can I pull just the engine and bellhousing, or is it too difficult to unbolt the bell from the tranny?

Pull the engine trans/case out as a unit.

NOTHING TO SUPPORT THE TRANS IN THE TRUCK......IT HANGS OFF THE BELLHOUSING,

The sheets these folks use to protect their fenders are nicer than the ones on my bed! And, that's a perfectly good flannel shirt protecting the front bib.

I like that blue color. I'm shopping for a color for my frame off resto. What's that color called? Is it the factory sky blue (854)?

My brother and I once got a 2F stuck in his driveway. We didn't put wheels under it and could not move it after we dropped it there. Had to drag it with his other FJ40. Left a groove 1/4 inch deep down the asphalt. Rental house, oh well. . .

Do you think the License plate covering the radiator could be the cause of the over heat issue?
Nice truck, Like the blue!

Looks like fun. Good luck with the swap.

Also, as you'll come to find out, the correct abbreviation for your FJ40 is simply a "40" as the abbreviation "FJ" covers a lot of series whether it be a 40, 50, 60, 70 or even 80 series.

โชคดี!

Hehe, we've always called it the "FJ", but I can see how it'd be confusing in a multi-fj universe. :)

Do you think the License plate covering the radiator could be the cause of the over heat issue?
Nice truck, Like the blue!

Probably not, as it's been driven that way for a long time without problem. The overheating was probably caused by driving the truck in low-range on the freeway for 2 hours @ 50mph. :eek:

Given the equipment we have and the research I've done here, we're going to try supporting the tranny and pulling the engine/bellhousing. We'll do the bellhousing swap on the pulled motors.

What are the chances of the clutch from the 60 working on the 40? Flywheels are probably different too yes?

Thanks!

Where in Oregon are you located? If you're near the north coast, I can lend a hand.

Probably not, as it's been driven that way for a long time without problem. The overheating was probably caused by driving the truck in low-range on the freeway for 2 hours @ 50mph. :eek:

OK I gotta ask.............why?

Day 2 was good! We unbolted the bellhousing from the tranny, and engine from the mounts, and supported the tranny with straps and a floor jack. Lifted the engine a bit, wiggled it, and eventually got it out. Had to take off the header. Fun stuff!

5971897197_03dc8c0ee6_z.jpg

5972449894_11d74e962d_z.jpg

5972503584_882418d60c_z.jpg

5972470886_50f670edfb_z.jpg

Are you planning on trying to leave the transmission and stab it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom