1978 FJ 40 - Pricing Assistance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Should be three VIN on the vehicle. One is on the frame as already pointed out. A plaque would be on the A pillar driver's side. That one would be held on with rivets. 78 would have a plaque on the firewall by the heater blower. That would be held on with rivets as well. Prior to 78 would be on the passenger fender below the battery. Can't tell if the front has a shackle reverse. If it has most likely covered the stamped frame VIN. Just seen last post. That is a January 1966 frame.
Will check later and report back. Thanks.

Maybe the V8 is a 78?

June 1966 started 44999. July1966 started 45484. I inverted 5 and 2 to come up with January 1966. FJ40 never reached 452XXX which would be six digits over 400,000
Doh. I looked at the FJ45 sheet. My apologies to the OP.

Figured it was something like that. My money was on Living in the Past anyway

Will check later and report back. Thanks.
Just found this. Body then a ‘78 with “artistic freedom” on other portions of the rig?

385BE978-B188-4F15-8427-0D72706D3178.jpeg

The tub isn't a '78, as it has the old filler neck opening...and the firewall doesn't seem like a 78 either as it has the two-part vent openings.

Kinda looks like someone did a bit of title-washing there, putting the 78 VIN plate on the door and calling it that rig, even though I don't think there's a single bit of '78 on it other than that plate.

5 years is a bit of time...but I wouldn't want to be that ebay seller trying to explain that away...

that Work smells of he who’s name I shall not say..
vintage off road

Well, that certainly throws a new wrinkle into the what's it worth...

The tub isn't a '78, as it has the old filler neck opening...and the firewall doesn't seem like a 78 either as it has the two-part vent openings.

Kinda looks like someone did a bit of title-washing there, putting the 78 VIN plate on the door and calling it that rig, even though I don't think there's a single bit of '78 on it other than that plate.

5 years is a bit of time...but I wouldn't want to be that ebay seller trying to explain that away...
Thanks and not sure where I go from here. I did a bit more research and the ebay seller also owns a towing and RECOVERY service. Not sure if i have any recourse through ebay or otherwise. Not sure what to do with the "Frankenstein" I own given all that i know.

There must be an available legal remedy through your DMV. You're probably not the first to have this happen to. Though it's probaly not easy or quick.
Personally, i would rather own a (titled) '66 with a bunch of later stuff bolted on than a '78...

Yeah, I'd agree - the DMV would want that fixed as much as you do, but it'll take some legwork and paperwork. The real pickle is that the frame VIN is obscured...is the original VIN tag on the firewall? The one on the door was added later, the rivets are oversize too...apparently '67 and earlier was on the passenger side firewall? I would wager its long gone if there was intentional funny business, but you might get lucky there...would get you the original VIN. If you find that, you should be able to do the lost/missing title paperwork with the typical notice period for others to claim if lost/stolen.

EDIT: Looks like it's probably also gone unless it's just painted over...would be under that fuse/relay block methinks. Photo was back in post 20:

Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 11.54.41 AM.png

Oof. I am sorry. I thought I had it bad with my cobbled mess. The 78 tag is clearly re-riveted on to an early body.

These sellers need to be held accountable, even if publicly shamed for the shady behavior. Really terrible. I see this happening more and more, especially with Central/South American imports.

While it IS the responsibility of the buyer to do their due diligence - many are not in the know on all of the things to look for. Experience serves the buyer, with these.

It just breaks my heart to see people taken advantage of. And....that has happened here. I hope this seller receives a nice dose of karma. Not cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom