For Sale 1978 FJ-40 in Maryland (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This was my baby... but I'm getting tired of not being able to spend what I want on it and all the other expensive hobbies I've got.

The truck is pretty much 100% mechanically fit. 1978 inline six, 4speed with rear powertrax locker. Its still a project to me BUT one you can drive and enjoy or make a great trail/street truck out of. You could restore it to spec if one desired.

$4500.00 cash or trade for a newer excellent Honda xr650L, decked out enduro/ adventure bike.... or trade towards a Nice decent 94+Toyota pickup in good shape and needing nothing! I really want to sell it but would like to ultimately buy a newer pickup truck to replace my aging 4runner.
I've replaced so many parts I don't even now if I can begin to list them but:

All new steering, every ball joint including a new oem steering joint (rare as hens teeth),new budbuilt over-sized tie rods, mini-truck power steering.
Engine has been torn down to the short block and redone, with all new teq parts, fan clutch,h20pump,belts etc etc etc. Head has been rebuilt with a 3 angle valve job all teq gaskets, no aftermarket BS crap. Entirely new coolant system, radiator is new and 4core brass unit, all hoses are OEM teq units. Exhaust is oem teq with a custom down pipe to the mid pipe.

Tranny is pretty decent as is the transfer case, no leaks all new gaskets in the works, New Tom woods driveshaft custom made. Locker was in the truck by PO but was inspected and gone over. New rear wheel bearings in axles, Entirely new SS brake lines throughout the truck, all new brake cylinders, linings, rotors, calipers, bearings, master cylinder. etc etc. This truck will stop on a dime and knock your teeth out if not careful. The only thing NOT new is the booster all SS hardlines and soft lines, new clutch cylinders master and slave, new clutch and disc, flywheel resurfaced at time of install.

Wheels and tires: I tired to match a 33" setup and used 285 or 296R16 ProComp Xterrain tires (can't recall off the top of my head but = 33" approx.). They ride very nicely and are on Mickey Thompson Classics. The spare is new and never been mounted. They all match, tires and wheels and bought at the same time brand new(size age make etc). less than 3000 or 4000 miles at the very most, 2k is more likely You can't really even see any wear on them, NO BS.

Suspension is old BDS I believe. The units have miltary wrapped springs on both ends of the spring packs and are quite stiff, I've bought new OME springs and bushes for the front along with a $$ U-bolt flip kit but NEVER mounted them. The overall lift is around 4-6". I wanted to reduce the lift overall to 2-3" with the springs and rear leaf removal for best ride height and comfort.

The front axle hubs have been completely redone and shim packs checked with the oem teq tool, all new eom teq bearings, gaskets,wipers etc. Basically the knuckles have been completely redone top to bottom.

The bad:
The body never suited me frankly. It has been repaired in the past by the PO and while the work was not poor it was not resto quality. I bought a restorable body and have it at a different location in Martinsburg. Both bodies need quater panels and or repair. The restoratble body needs a sill. I have a set (1/4's) to go along with the truck as well as a set of rocker panels. I have patch panels for the doors and the rockers as well if someone wanted to fit them. The hard doors have rot in the bottom as most do but it is not major and the patch panels easily fis this. I installed oem weather striping in the doors and have the remaininf pieces to go alone with it. The amby doors are very restorable and NOT rusted through the rear panel, only the one door has rust and I cut out the area to see the inside, very easy to fix. I have the hardtop fiberglass cap, the steel hardtop sides are gone and I have new fiberglass units to replace them. the drip rail needs reparied at the rear corners.
I would put the new spring perches on for the rear and the same time I put the new body on. the units I bought were over $150 bucks each I believe. very nice units! I like just looking at em!!\

Frame was cleaned up and POR-15ed from the front to just past the trans during the engine swap (1979 2f). excellent compression the oem miles were around 60k, from a camp truck that rotted to pieces. Sourced from Gary S. in PA. I've put less than 4k miles on this thing, likely only 2k frankly. I did rebuilt or replace nearly everything on that engine less the lower end and the camshaft because I am an anal retentive butthole.

Misc: More teq bolts than you can shake a stick at! two rear heaters with fans, both jump seats with ok covers but need to be reattached with the screws (the fabric screws). All kinds of spare stuff gauge clusters, relays, glass for the hardtop = to two hardtops worth Pre and post 77' vent style along with the vent post so you can add vent post hardtop glass to any hardtop pre77' vent. Boxes and boxes of good toyota gold. Spare windshield frame is excellent as is the one on the truck.

Overall this is a great truck with good road manners and good offroading capablilty for the stock 4:11's and 33" tires, most all the small stuff has been done from the ebrake kit rebuilt, new transfer seals and all that crap, like new gear shift rubber on the tranny. I went through this truck and planned on dropping on a redone body or new alum one. I just got tired of working on it all the time and wanted to enjoy driving it so when it got to that great mechanical running state I stopped pulling it apart and drove it without fearing any body damage. I never wheeled it hard and broke up birfs etc. I don't like breaking s***!

I would like to get a reasonable amount for the condition and the money spent. I would take no less than $4500.00. Drive some others and then drive mine, you'll be able to tell how well sorted mine is. It's not a beauty queen but a real runner and reliable little jewel. It always starts. I run it wit the bikini top but have an EXCELLENT sailcloth best top from SOR with the soft doors. I used this top for 18months in the weather but pulled in back in the garage to prevent any more rust and preserve the nice top.

I keep most all reciepts and there are a pile of them, Ive never had the balls to add them up for fear I'd jump off a cliff after seeing the total.

In the end this will make someone a really nice truck if they fix up that other body or just plate up the existing one and run it. Everything you need is there and then some, just a little more elbow grease and you'll have a totally restored cruiser.

Better pics to come asap. She now has a white bezel too! Pm me here. 540-931-3106
me in junk.jpg

Last edited:
Curious

I am definitely interested in your fj, just a few questions. You mentioned some holes in the body, how "holy" is the body? Are we talking Parrish Priest or Catholic Pope style? I have been interested in a fj for a while now and yours sounds perfect for me.

Josh, I enjoyed chatting with you on the phone. I've had a number of folks request pictures and will be working on that this weekend when I get back from the track. The body has been repaired in the past by the PO. The work done was pretty good but it is rusting out again, likely in areas that were not fixed? The sill is rusty but is a PO repair and not OEM, the rocker panels have a hole or two in there. the one rear corner is pushed in a little from backing up in the woods.

Pictures up this weekend or early next week.

I've got all the bent up panels for the truck, rockers and 1/4's. Very easy to replace if you can plug weld. I myself would fix the other body up to perfection and drive to one on there now, use it and enjoy it on the trail, that's what I was intending, then swap out the real nice body. Problem is when you have anice truck you don't want to scratch it on tree branches etc.

I had been asked if I would take less than $4500. No, it will sit until I'm ready to fool with it again. Too many extra parts and $$$ in the truck. If I fix the existing body and paint it, it would be a 8-10k truck all day. I'm just another idiot who thinks their truck is worth to much, maybe. How much are you willing to sell your for? I don't have a problem with it sitting for another 2 years for less than my asking price.

I've driven at least 4 other FJ-40s and mine has them all beat hands down on handling and road manners.

Last edited:
As I stated earlier I am interested in your vehicle. I respect the amount of work you have put into the vehicle and judging from your posts about the vehicle and our conversation the heartache you have felt over the years. Based on these facts I would find it insulting to be offered less than your asking price and personally I would be willing to offer you more.

I am leaving town this weekend so I probably won't have internet or cell phone access but I would like to talk to you again soon. Did you get the email I sent you yesterday, I must have spelled something wrong in your address so it kicked it back to me and I just mailed you directly from the forum.

I will try to get in touch with you the beginning of next week to talk about the details and hopefully the logistics of getting the truck back to NC.

Thanks for your time,

Josh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom