For Sale 1978 Central American Import to East Coast USA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Mileage
Color
Green
Hello everyone.

I am planning on importing and selling my 1978 BJ diesel back to the US. It was fully restored and built in Costa Rica, and I have had a blast driving it all around the country. I am putting this thread out as a “feeler”.. on if it is worth sending back to the US to sell or if I should keep it here as an extra car as a travel back and forth from New Jersey a few times a year.

As you will see from the pictures, the truck was tastefully modified. I am still in contact with the local Tico, a fellow car enthusiast/restorer, and will update the ad with exact specs of the build soon, but I know a lot of the drivetrain, diffs, etc were beefed up, as well as the suspension obviously.. but I will get specifics.

Motor was rebuilt about 1000km ago. New bearings, rings, valves, machines head, etc.

I have an idea of what I think the car is worth, but would appreciate responses maybe from those that are a bit more familiar with the US market. Even if you are not interested in purchasing, please respond with your opinion on US market value.

If I move forward with import.. it would be to port in my home state of New Jersey.

Thanks,

Keith

AB9BB717-262D-447B-91A4-4B2A5B645631.jpeg

A9684BB9-883C-40E1-9280-751704D86C2D.jpeg

7A5BDF64-D1FD-44DF-8E8C-A4806B58D55A.jpeg

D480EA77-9CA2-4A33-8C38-FDBD242A3257.jpeg

5CB38983-4FEB-4241-B302-A9CB741EE8AC.jpeg

You should check out bringatrailer.com and look at all the LatAm 40s that have been auctioned there.

The diesel helps for some, hurts for others. Most likely lack of heat hurts it. Do you still have the hard top?

US buyers are rightfully wary of any refurb/repair work done in Latin America as its inconsistent and often times covers up a lot of poor repairs. Not saying this is yours, but if you have pics of all the work done before and after and any receipts or records it will help.

Sweet looking rig, by the way.

I'll give my $0.02 cents

It is really hard to state a value based on five pics and no real details. The phrase "beefed up" can mean a lot of things. I think the "bed liner" paint job can also be a deterrent for many folks. along with the fact that it is in another country. Heavily modified LC's tend to be worth less then nicely restored or original ones unless they are done by an known company or done REALLY nice. I would suggest getting as many details as you can, take a lot more pics (interior, engine, undercarriage, etc.). You should get some interest. I would also suggest that you list what "your idea of what it is worth". You can give a ballpark range. Everyone has there own opinion and new people show up on this site all the time trying to sell a LC saying things like "I know what it's worth" but they really don't know.

If it is a solid, rust free, no problems, completely operational FJ40, that looks as good in person as it does in the pics you should be able to get $20-$30k for it... maybe more. It is a very unique LC and will take a unique buyer who is looking for something unique like it.

I agree with the post above... check out BAT. Things do surprisingly well on there sometimes and there might be a someone in the market for a LC like yours :)!

Again... Just my $0.02 cents...

Good Luck

I'll give my $0.02 cents

It is really hard to state a value based on five pics and no real details. The phrase "beefed up" can mean a lot of things. I think the "bed liner" paint job can also be a deterrent for many folks. along with the fact that it is in another country. Heavily modified LC's tend to be worth less then nicely restored or original ones unless they are done by an known company or done REALLY nice. I would suggest getting as many details as you can, take a lot more pics (interior, engine, undercarriage, etc.). You should get some interest. I would also suggest that you list what "your idea of what it is worth". You can give a ballpark range. Everyone has there own opinion and new people show up on this site all the time trying to sell a LC saying things like "I know what it's worth" but they really don't know.

If it is a solid, rust free, no problems, completely operational FJ40, that looks as good in person as it does in the pics you should be able to get $20-$30k for it... maybe more. It is a very unique LC and will take a unique buyer who is looking for something unique like it.

I agree with the post above... check out BAT. Things do surprisingly well on there sometimes and there might be a someone in the market for a LC like yours :)!

Again... Just my $0.02 cents...

Good Luck
Vexvader... I agree... the more you deviate from stock the lower the selling price goes (IMHO). The more "custom" you make it the narrower the potential buyer base. With the snorkel, lights, nose bleed lift, big bumpers... it's target demographic appears to be 15-19 year old boys. And that's ok. It's just a smaller audience. And who knows what a "beefed up" engine is? While there are undoubtedly some very good imports from CR there are those who seem to tilt the scales far in the other direction. Enjoy !

I don't think you will make much money on it by the time you import and clear customs titling ect in the US with that truck. I would leave it in Costa Rica and wheel it.

Keep it. Wheel it and have fun would be more valuable than what you could get after all the expense and hassle of importing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom