1978 carb leaking fuel at base (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1978 fj40. Newly installed carb from A known vendor on MUD... carb was supplied as rebuilt from this person...

installed and can get idle and rough running but lots of fine tuning needed to get smooth running

but I noticed a leak at the base of this carb. See image

before I start tearing it back off ANY immediate ideas to look for. It seems only to leak with constant acceleration accuraution at idle.
Perhaps just flooding over from somehw

or bad base gaskets?

cracked car base?

leaks isn’t too bad. But it isn’t right...

See red arrow. This is below the insulator and in front

many ideas are welcome

8E369560-609D-4288-AA8F-1AFA6323EC05.jpeg

More seeping...

Here are some more images from this morning... just let it sit over night.
Looks like the float level might be too high, but still seems not correct.

Thanks
eaj71

Inkedthumbnail_IMG_2878_LI.jpg

Inkedthumbnail_IMG_2883_LI.jpg

Inkedthumbnail_IMG_2884_LI.jpg

Inkedthumbnail_IMG_2885_LI.jpg

It may be an optical illusion, but it looks like your leak is coming from the left bolt that you remove to access the main jets. The one right under the site window. Mine leaked too, so I know it's a 14mm wrench, and the OE copper O-ring gasket is part number 21617-30010, I just installed 2 of those last week for the same reason. Just ordered them from the local Toyota dealer. Hope that helps!

Just notice that too. Yes it was wet

but see the base...not a connected drip line

would these effect the float?

Maybe it seeped up?

If there are no leaks that you can trace to the insulator base (which looks like you've got decent gaskets on) then it looks to me like the upper and lower carb halves are not bolted together well. The black spacer is inbetween. There shouldn't be leaks there. I'm not certain you can get a wrench on those bolts without removing the carb from the engine (or maybe some disassembly).

Even the seasoned pros on this site have one slip through now and again but they're not in business to rip anyone off. Just give him/her a call and find out how they want you to proceed.

If there are no leaks that you can trace to the insulator base (which looks like you've got decent gaskets on) then it looks to me like the upper and lower carb halves are not bolted together well. The black spacer is inbetween. There shouldn't be leaks there. I'm not certain you can get a wrench on those bolts without removing the carb from the engine (or maybe some disassembly).

Even the seasoned pros on this site have one slip through now and again but they're not in business to rip anyone off. Just give him/her a call and find out how they want you to proceed.
Numby,

you are right, it isnt trerribly complicated, just a relatively small PITA. But ill trade that problem all day long compared to other issues in the world..

It may be an optical illusion, but it looks like your leak is coming from the left bolt that you remove to access the main jets. The one right under the site window. Mine leaked too, so I know it's a 14mm wrench, and the OE copper O-ring gasket is part number 21617-30010, I just installed 2 of those last week for the same reason. Just ordered them from the local Toyota dealer. Hope that helps!

Looking at it again I think GreaseMonkey is probably right. The drip pathway is generally downhill from that bolt with a little wicking here and there. The float level being high would tend to dump fuel down the throat I would think.

Yeah, working on a Cruiser will sometimes clear my head enough to tackle bigger issues. Sometimes being the operative word.

These leaks may have been addressed. But now a whistle.!,
So still a smaller leak...

Time to unbolt carb as all bolsters are as tight as I dare... need to clean mating surfaces betrween intake and insulator and recheck gaskets...

Well. It leaks from the primary and secondary

off it comes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom