Builds 1978 BJ40 Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought a 1978 40 series land cruiser that I am going to restore.
741509740.jpg
741509495.jpg
741509394.jpg

It has a B engine. So it will probably end up with a V8

I started by getting the axles sand blasted and painted, replaced all the bearings. And bought new 2" lift leaf springs, shocks, steering arms, brake cylinders and brake shoes.
DSCN2081.jpg

Next the cab came off.
DSCN2079.jpg

DSCN2078.jpg

DSCN2086.jpg
DSCN2082.jpg
20180521_194732.jpg

Then i took the engine out and took chassis to the sand blasters. I would have had it galvanised but i don't trust the forklift drivers at the galvanisers. Ive seen how rough they are throwing around trailers.

Last edited:
This engine definitely isn't going back in the truck so ill put it on a stand and keep it in the living room. Maybe use it to power a blender or something.
DSCN2092.jpg

20180527_162445.jpg

Started work on a new snorkel, made from lobster back cut tube.

DSCN2085.jpg

Next job is to put the cab on a rotisserie.

Ive decided ill put an LS1 in to replace the old diesel. But I need advice about what gearbox to use, should i keep the 4 speed H41 or should I find an H55f or something else. Ive found a shop in Australia where you can buy bell housings to fit almost any gearbox to an LS1.

Hi Alex, good to see you've made it on to the forum & nice to see a few more pics of the project. She'll go good with an LS1!

I'd be looking for an H55 with the later model 'split case' transfer case. You'll want that 5th gear to keep the V8 from revving too high on the road, plus the newer transfer case is stronger. The 1986+ split case transfers are a bit stronger again.

Cheers
Clint

Ive got the cab spinning on the rotisserie. The centre of gravity is too low so it gets a bit heavy when you spin it past 90 deg. But Ive got heaps of adjustment to fix that.
DSCN2108.jpg

The box section frame that bolts to the body mounts twist a bit under the weight .But it doesn't damage the body mounts.

Last edited:
Why you didn’t took the roof/doors/windows off first? You could get maybe 40% weight off.

DSCN2124.jpg

Pulled off the roof, the wind screen and all the wiring its almost ready for a new coat of paint. I'm going to paint it myself so i don't feel bad when i scrape it off against a tree. I cant get those last 2 bits off the tub they are stuck on so well with sealant ill damage them pulling them off.
DSCN2128.jpg

DSCN2142.jpg

The rotisserie works awesome you can spin any part up to perfect working height.
Ive bought a 5.7L LS1 from a Holden Commodore so all i need is a H55 gearbox and a bell housing and she can start going back together.

Last edited:
No buggering around here! Into it!

Have a good look at that gearbox input shaft when you pull it out - should be a good indicator of how worn the box is - way easier to give it a re-co at this point if it needs it.

Cheers
Clint

No buggering around here! Into it!

Have a good look at that gearbox input shaft when you pull it out - should be a good indicator of how worn the box is - way easier to give it a re-co at this point if it needs it.

Cheers
Clint
Will do. apparently its in good condition doesn't wine or jump out if gear, but the transfer case is knackered so it might need replacing or reconditioning. im not looking forward to sorting out the wiring, but Ive got a mate whos done a few LS conversions.

Will do. apparently its in good condition doesn't wine or jump out if gear, but the transfer case is knackered so it might need replacing or reconditioning. im not looking forward to sorting out the wiring, but Ive got a mate whos done a few LS conversions.

I've got a spare set of transfer case gears + intermediate shaft if you want them, (1990 split case) Took them out when I rebuilt mine with the Mark's Adapters low range gears. Used a Terrain Tamer bearing kit which has given no problems.

Good luck with the bonnet, looks like you've got the welding skillz to rebuild it. Getting the louvres right could be technical though!

Cheers
Clint

I've got a spare set of transfer case gears + intermediate shaft if you want them, (1990 split case) Took them out when I rebuilt mine with the Mark's Adapters low range gears. Used a Terrain Tamer bearing kit which has given no problems.
Awesome, that will save heaps of mucking around. Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom