1978 Barn door FJ55 "daily driver" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Base is a Lexus color: Eminent White Pearl, so tri-coat.

I’m trying to pick a blue. Considering VooDoo but will consider what the sty thinks.
Laguna Seca Blue, a BMW color. Shown here on an EG Civic:

1629680025604.png

1629680426362.png

Last edited:
Gonzo what's controlling your engine? I am sure you have mentioned it but I will need to read the entire thread later. I would love a 5 spd behind my 2uz.

Gonzo what's controlling your engine? I am sure you have mentioned it but I will need to read the entire thread later. I would love a 5 spd behind my 2uz.
You can think of it as a UZJ100 drivetrain. The engine (a 2006 VVTi with about 36kmi in it, ECU, input shaft and bellhousing from a UZJ100 (sourced in UAE) and a H151 / H2FA behind the bellhousing.

AEM, Haltec, MoTec and Link G4 will all run the VVTi engine, but not an auto trans, but I don’t have an auto in this truck, and I’m focused more on it being a reliable daily driver, so I’m sticking with a factory ECU (unless it doesn’t work.)

The front and rear axles are sourced from a 70 series. The 70-series track is about the same as the 40 and 50 series, so the wheels & tires should tuck nicely.

Coils on front, leafs on back, as y’all can see. “Factory” four wheel discs, LSD in the rear (this truck won’t be wheeled so no lockers required).

Just a “go to work, go to the store, go home” truck. Maybe even “go to PP” someday. Stupid expensive for how I plan to use it, but as @TachedOutOffRoad explains, “it’s only money”.

Ya know … someone bought a fj43 on BAT today for $221,001, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(For the record, I’d already planned the rebuild of my 74 fj40 with a coil-on-plug 1fz-fe, TRD supercharger and a 5-speed in -place of the 5.7L + 4L60e setup. Then that BAT auction went off and now I have to…)

I think the 74 FJ55 is going to be as much fun, TBH. 1HD-FT with a larger turbo and some pump work, SOA, 37s, ARB-locked 60-series axles. I’m hoping it makes 500 ft-lb. Maybe a bit more. Don’t know that the axles will take much more than this though.

Old skool.

Last edited:
Ooooo! Your putting it on an 80 frame! Would love to see some pics of the engine mounts. I am just about to place mine as well, and I definitely am procrastinating. Might be because I don’t know what or how to do!!!

Ooooo! Your putting it on an 80 frame! Would love to see some pics of the engine mounts. I am just about to place mine as well, and I definitely am procrastinating. Might be because I don’t know what or how to do!!!
No, this one stays on a fj55 frame with 70-series axles and a 100-series drivetrain.

I’ll probably put the 1978 I bought from @TachedOutOffRoad on an 80 frame, but haven’t decided on engine/transmission yet.

Are you married to that steering box? And if so, are you planning to change the pitman arm?
Hopefully they’ll be able to clean that inner fender *cut* job they have going on. This is all just a fitting stage, yah?

Are you married to that steering box? And if so, are you planning to change the pitman arm?
Hopefully they’ll be able to clean that inner fender *cut* job they have going on. This is all just a fitting stage, yah?
Just fitting. it’s an awkward teenager right now.

It’s nowhere near final assembly.

Who knows, maybe I’ll be able to build a shop outside Denver and can spend a couple hours/day on them myself.

I close tomorrow on the shop. It’s 3.8m / 9 min from the front door of our home in Arvada.

1,240 SF plus a carpeted mezzanine of 370 SF for a total of 1,610 SF. Full bathroom. 3-ph power (only 150A but…)

(Goes to look at lifts…)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom