1978 Barn door FJ55 "daily driver" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Was the body really that wavy?
It didn’t show at a casual glance. Wasn’t a “10 foot” truck, but it wasn’t a “2 foot” truck, either. Not trying for “show car”, because pigs love mud, and show car as DD ... they’re difficult to keep clean.

I’m just searching for a nice ride, man.

I think of this pig as something I can drive instead of a Porsche or M-series BMW. They’re alright, but the profile is too damn high, and IDK, something about old iron holds more attraction than fast German cars do. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The others (lol, 5 bodies, 4 frames,...) have plans, but it spoils the build if you talk about it too far out.

Sandblasted the doors while they were apart. Don’t want any rust on this pig.

A4E4F481-8EE3-43ED-963A-D8D9BA0AD9E9.jpeg

F0AA7AAD-D5CE-445F-AAEA-DA8C3F2B69C7.jpeg

Question for you, the body work is being done in South America and then you're shipping back to your place or they doing all the rebuild?

Question for you, the body work is being done in South America and then you're shipping back to your place or they doing all the rebuild?
The truck was already in Colombia, so it made sense to try to get it done there.

They’ll put the 36k mile 2UZ, 5-speed and 70-series axle setup (4 wheel discs, coils up front, leafs in back, 6-lug conversion, factory lockers.)

Trying to keep it all Toyota, except the front row seating.

Depending on how it turns out, there may be other pigs (currently in the US) headed there for at least bodywork. Current plan for the other barn doored pig is a shortened, locked 80-series chassis with a gturbo / PDI “enhanced” 1HD-FTE with a 5-speed and p/t case.

Some of the parts (2F, front and rear axles, etc) off this one may end up on a restoration based on the 1978 fj55 I bought from @TachedOutOffRoad. A lot like the 1980 fj55 on fj.co.

I'm now thinking about dropping a blown 3UR-FE and six-speed auto in the fj62 body on locked fzj80 chassis project (the “Saturday Night” truck), and using the turboed 1fz-fe from it and a h151 in the SOA 74.

Last edited:
I would think weld-through primer, eh?
Basically, yeah. The old school weld-through primers were basically an aerosoled zinc, but zinc and paint don't normally get along.
The new school stuff is a 2-part epoxy. You can still weld through it, but it has better adherence than zinc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom