1978 40 Wiper Switch Repair (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My wiper switch was 'sticky' and I couldn't locate the low and high speed detents.
After disassembly I found the shaft was worn out causing it to hang up in the washer motor contact. Decided to repair instead of replace due to the $100 price tag on these. Thought I'd share what I did.

Thread on removing switch: How do you remove wiper switch on dash?
Different switch than mine disassembly: 40 series wiper switch repair

My FJ40 is a 78 produced 12/77 and from what I have found is the same for 9/1977 - 10/1984.

The original shaft is 4mm square aluminum and as you move it through the speeds it passes through a small steel plate that is the washer contact, ie rotate the shaft to move contact, it wears a little metal each time.

Disassembly is:
-fold open the 2 metal strain relief tabs on wiring
-fold back the 4 little steel tabs on the phenolic board
-lift off phenolic board and wiring upward away from gravity or all the bits will scatter
-lift up black plastic box, note there is a contact on top with 2 springs behind it and on the bottom is a spring and ball bearing for detent
-pull shaft out, catch the spring and washer contact
Slide1.JPG

Ordered this 18-8 stainless keystock from McMaster Carr. By far the best price and quality I could find.
McMaster-Carr

and its cheap!

Threaded one end with a 5mm die. The 18-8 is hard stainless. I think it wore the die out.
Then made the round section where the plastic box for the contacts hooks to by starting it out with an angle grinder clamped to a bench then finishing it with a flat file.
IMG_1590.JPG

good post...Thanks!

Great job and great description on how you made the shaft. I just love to say "I made it" rather than say "I bought it." I have a 78 FJ40 that was also made in December.

Great post. I’m having issues with the washer sprayer not working. The wipers wipe, but the sprayer doesn’t do anything. I took a brush to the washer contact and still can’t get a spray. Any tips or do I need to pull the whole thing out and rebuild the switch?

Don't think it's the switch itself. The washer works by completing a ground when you rotate the switch knob to the Right.

The switch case ground is a clamped thin terminal (WB wire) at the rear which is sent via LY wire to ground the washer motor.

With ignition ON, check that you have power at the little washer motor, and check that you have ground signal coming in to the switch.

If both good, then washer motor needs replacing(rust, corrosion). See @RAGINGMATT if you need to buy a new motor.

Great post. I’m having issues with the washer sprayer not working. The wipers wipe, but the sprayer doesn’t do anything. I took a brush to the washer contact and still can’t get a spray. Any tips or do I need to pull the whole thing out and rebuild the switch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom