1978 2F Aisin/OEM Water Pump -- Genuine or a Knockoff? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was cleaning up my water pump while I have the engine out/working on my truck build. I noticed evidence of scale/leak at the weep hole so I figured it was time for a replacement. I ordered a new Aisin WPT-063 which as I understand is the equivalent to Toyota OEM. (Technically, I know Toyota stopped offering the OEM Water Pump with fan clutch and no oil cooler -- but Aisin made the original Toyota pumps so that is why I am calling it OEM).
Side by side the pumps look similar enough, minus the "plugged" port in the casting originally designed for the oil cooler on the new pump.
IMG_3617.jpg

On the original pump "TEQ" is cast into the aluminum below the top arrow, and "AISIN" is cast above the bottom arrow/black line. (hard to see above the black line, I know. . . but trust me its there)
IMG_3620.jpg

On the new pump those two areas are ground down so nothing legible is in the casting. A little "Aisin" sticker is stuck on just to the left of the top arrow/ground off area.
IMG_3621.jpg

Is this how the new Aisin pumps are made/delivered? I can understand why the "TEQ" would be ground off a pump sold under the brand name, but I do not know why the "AISIN" casting would be ground off at the bottom . . . ? The little sticker is nice, but any generic pump can be branded with a sticker.
Perhaps I am overthinking things -- the pump matches up in fitment and will bolt up to the engine just fine. I guess I just want to make sure I am getting the genuine pump I paid for.
Anyone else finding the same thing when acquiring a new water pump?

I think your fine.

It's not unusual to purchase an AISIN part that has had the TEQ ground off.

John

You're fine. Some vendors try to homogenize their product to improve marketability. I've seen unbranded fuel pumps that I would swear were Kyosan. In Airtex and Beck Arnley boxes.

I have seen it with oil pumps too.

Best

Mark

Last edited:
Thanks for the follow up and feedback. My "new" pump looks just like Racer's new Toyota Pump. . . but of course his has the port drilled for the oil cooler.
Just wondering why the "Aisin" name would be removed when it is being sold as such. Makes me think there is one water pump factory out there making the same pump and dropping them into various brand name boxes.

I am suspicious by nature anyway. . . I figure most engine oil, antifreeze, tires, soda pop, bottled water, shampoo, coffee, fast food, etc. all comes from the same place with different labels on it. :p

I would say that is probably true.

Thanks for the follow up and feedback. My "new" pump looks just like Racer's new Toyota Pump. . . but of course his has the port drilled for the oil cooler.
Just wondering why the "Aisin" name would be removed when it is being sold as such. Makes me think there is one water pump factory out there making the same pump and dropping them into various brand name boxes.

I am suspicious by nature anyway. . . I figure most engine oil, antifreeze, tires, soda pop, bottled water, shampoo, coffee, fast food, etc. all comes from the same place with different labels on it. :p

Doc - I would say there isn't just one manufacture of this style 2F water pump that is used with a fan clutch and no oil cooler outlet. Below is what the Airtex looks like that I installed on my '77 FJ40.

IMG_2386.JPG

NOTE: The Aitex replaced the below Toyota OEM unit that went bad.
IMG_2408.JPG

ACME makes it all...:D

Doc - I would say there isn't just one manufacture of this style 2F water pump that is used with a fan clutch and no oil cooler outlet. Below is what the Airtex looks like that I installed on my '77 FJ40.

I had considered using the Airtex pump after reading thru your posts/build @GA Architect -- only reason I went with the Aisin is that is the brand that came off/was used originally. Love your truck/enhancements by the way -- I like reading about someone driving and enjoying their Land Cruiser instead of all of us guys putting one back together!

What do the impellers look like on the pumps?

This ^^ I spent a bit of time comparing water pumps when I was battling an overheat problem (still not solved) and there are definite differences in the impellers brand-to-brand. The Aisin seem to have tighter clearances and better looking blades on the impeller. I am still able to get my '79 pumps from the dealer, so I bought 2 spares.

I put on one of those Aisin pumps with the ground off areas like in your original post above. I think I got it a partsgeek.com maybe? The box looks familiar. I have run it for a few years now on my 3fe without issue.

That one came in an aisin box.. but aren't those marking toyota?
I am guessing Aisin wholesales that pump to be sold under different names and grinds the casting for that purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom