1977 Windshield frame on 1970 tub (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If I have a 1970 tub, 1977 windshield frame and doors- what problems will I have trying to get them to work with a FST?

I know the strikers and limiters are different, but how about the windshield frame angle on the tub and doors?

:beer:Here’s to hoping this will work with few problems!

All is good as long as you don't want to lay the windshield down. To do that will need 75 plus hinges and deal with the pads/hooks on the hood.

So use earlier hinges?

I’ll attach some photos when I get home, but I am using 75+ and the frame sits very high above tub— windshield pad has lots of wiggle room.

You guys are saying only difference hinges will make are if I can fold the windshield frame down (wiper motor)?

Wiper motor on the bottom will hit hood when folded down unless you use newer hinges... or retrofit older wiper motor to top of newer windshield.

Angle is same, but front edge of windshield top is 1/4" narrower. Can't see it making much difference on a rag top.

Guess should mention will have to deal with the wiper motor wiring and reroute it over to the right side. Not big deal if you understand basic wiring.

@Advrider639

The screw pattern on the upper hinge piece for the 75+ windshield frame is different than the early windshield frame pattern. If you look at this picture borrowed from @sambudo's thread on hinge pin removal, you can see the inboard screw on the face of the windshield frame is crowding very close to the hinge barrel. The newer windshield frame hinge moves it slightly upwards and outwards, away from the hinge barrel, only about 1/4" inch or so, but enough to be a problem.

The lower hinge patterns are identical, early and later.

1574118895706.png

But that only would have effect if I was using a early style frame, with later style hinges?

I have 1970 tub, 1977 hinges, and frame.

Picture shorty....

Maybe is user error and I just missed something.... y’all straighten me out!

hinges-jpg.433374

Maybe is user error and I just missed something.... y’all straighten me out!

Sorry, I meant to finish my post but got called away :)princess:)

The later hinges with later windshield frame should work fine on the early tub.

The later hinges will not work on an early windshield frame.

10-4. So my collection of parts should work. Looking at that sweet diagram I pulled from the other thread, I am thinking my hinges are bent. Ive got them as low as they'll go on the tub and frame, and I still have a 1" gap.

But I wonder how they would get bent, cause some serious 'hinge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom