1977 FJ40 with SM420

I have a 1977 FJ40 with a SM420 installed by Earl Warden of Placerville back in 1994. The throw out bearing has gone bad and it is time to replace the clutch assembly. Wondering what Earl used as the clutch? Was it a Toyota original clutch or did he use a Chevy, or some other clutch like Advance Adapters. I would like to buy the correct parts before starting the project. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Assuming it is a 2F, I was looking for the Charlie Glabe article on installing SM420's with a plate adapter (most of which were based on the Warden adapter I believe). Looks like Charlie's site is down. Chances are Warden used similar parts for the clutch. I followed this article when I installed my SM420 in 2004 at the ripe age of 17.

Perhaps @pin head has the article saved somewhere?

Going on memory I used a chevy clutch disk and F bellhousing, flywheel and pressure plate. The pilot bearing was something special and I can't recall if throwout bearing was stock. I believe it may have been, but a sleeve had to be brazed onto the SM420 nose cone for the throwout to ride on.

A chevy clutch with everything else being Toyota. The pilot bearing is modified. Looks like it will be interesting once I get this apart. How do I get to pin heads site and archived article?

Wow, that is really old.

The clutch depends on the flywheel used. If you have a 3 speed flywheel, you need a 3 speed clutch. If you have a 4 speed flywheel, you need a 4 speed clutch. Usually that means if you have a F engine, you have a 3 sped clutch. 2F = 4 speed.

Thank you all for your help. I have a 2F so I will be using a 4 speed clutch. I will use Toyota clutch, pressure, throw out bearing, and pilot. If it turns out there is a reason for the chevy clutch I will then use it.

You can use a Chevy clutch disk, but the diameter may need to be ground slightly to fit. I found that the LUK Toyota aftermarket disk I used worked fine on the 420 input splines. The pressure plate and To bearing need to be Toyota.

Great news. I ordered a LUX clutch a few days ago. Thanks for the help. I am hoping the clutch replacement goes smoothly. If you have any tips please pass them along.
Thanks, Jim

Are you planning to change the pilot bearing? I recall that I did not use a Toyota pilot bearing.
Thanks for bringing that up. I went to Mike Smythe's adaptor kit (in the SM420 installation guide you sent me) and from what I see the clutch installation uses all Toyota except the pilot bearing that is a Chevy 14061685. That is on the way. The pilot bearing is the last part ordered and should arrive Friday, the installation will probably start the following Monday.

There is a ball bearing like the Toyota pilot bearing except it has an inner race that is about 1/4 inch wider on one side than the Toyota one to accommodate the 420 input shaft that is shorter than the Toyota 3 speed. I don’t have the number, but they are not hard to find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom