Builds 1977 FJ40 - USA Spec Restoration - Father & Son Project - AKA "Belle" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After letting the zinc phosphate KBS rust blast sit for 1 hour...

1. Rinsed it out and blew it out with air
2. Let it dry for a couple hours
3. I painted it with Rust-oleum Rust Reformer
4. Clamped it back together
5. Drilled a couple holes
6. Plug welded it back together
7. Painted another coat of Rust-oleum Rust Reformer

055.jpg

Rust Converter.jpg

Last edited:
My 13 year old son welded the wheel well brace in. I am not sure what happened to the original one, but when I got the 40 it was missing this one. (see earlier posts)

Not the prettiest welds, but not bad for a 13 year old :)

053 cropped.jpg

054.jpg

Well done Matthew, I admire your patience. Where in Atlanta are you?

- Farrell
Thank you!

Peachtree Corners :)I'm gonna try to come to the Cobb Co get together in Feb!

Last edited:
Got a little work done today.

> Cleaned off the paint on the inside or the tub top and bottom lip. Getting it ready to plug weld the quarter panel back on.
> Drilled the holes in the quarter where it bolts to the front of the tub.

IMG_3144.JPG

IMG_3145.JPG

IMG_3146.JPG

Last edited:
I took a pic of the inside of the support sill that connects the front of the tub to the back. While I have the quarters off, I thought I would clean it out and seal it with some Eastwood Internal Frame Coater. I ordered this today and will seal up the inside and cover the surface rust before I weld the quarter panels back on.

IMG_3147.JPG

IMG_3148.JPG

Eastwood.jpg

Last edited:
I have used Eastwood Internal Frame Coater for my frame. It works fine. It take two cans to cover all frame channels.
It run out very quickly.. or maybe I did something wrong
IMG_9604.jpg

Last edited:
Things have been slow. I am out of school for spring break next week and I hope to get a lot done :)

PTL for SPRING BREAK :clap:

It has been over a month since I have gotten any real work done on the LC, so I am totally stoked about spring break. I got out in the shop today and spent about an hour cleaning up. Then the kids and I spent about an hour cleaning up the quarter panel and the rear sill corner. Coated them with some weld through primer. I need to get some more primer, and I hope to get the driver side quarter done. Then on to the other side.

061.jpg

062.jpg

063.jpg

064.jpg

Last edited:
Let me just say that I am thankful for the local NAPA store. They always seem to have what I need!! Thank you NAPA!

download (1).png

MM, I spent the majority of my slow day at work reading your build thread.
It is inspiring, keep up the great work.

I think that you may have the brake calipers on the wrong sides. (pics from 14-Jul-2019, page 12)
The bleeders should be at the top of the caliper when installed, to allow the air to be removed when bleeding.
I pulled my hair out one time doing this myself, eternally spongy brake pedal.

Keep the progress going!!!
Mcap1PA

MM, I spent the majority of my slow day at work reading your build thread.
It is inspiring, keep up the great work.

I think that you may have the brake calipers on the wrong sides. (pics from 14-Jul-2019, page 12)
The bleeders should be at the top of the caliper when installed, to allow the air to be removed when bleeding.
I pulled my hair out one time doing this myself, eternally spongy brake pedal.

Keep the progress going!!!
Mcap1PA

You are absolutely correct! Thanks for catching that. I don't know how I missed that, but this is one of the many things I love about this forum! Thanks again... I will swap them around tomorrow :)

MM

I got the driver side quarter panel reinstalled today. I still need to grind down the weld, but it is ON!!

I did a lot of clamping, measuring, girding, repeat... until I got them the best I could. I had to fight some previous owner anger as I did it. I just kept reminding myself... "If it is worth doing, it is worth doing right" and the truth is I really do LOVE doing this. It was a GREAT day!

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Last edited:
Outside seam, tack welds. This is WAY better then the overlap weld crap that was on there before!!

Also my 13 year old son welding. I tried telling him to put pants on, but sometimes they need to learn a lesson the hard way :)

005.jpg

006.jpg

Last edited:
OK... here is the passenger side quarter.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I've landed on the theory that the previous owner of this tub threw it together for a "quick sale"...

Why else would someone put a half inch of filler on top of a rusty quarter panel that isn't even fully installed on the tub?

I am so glad that I am redoing this. I will sleep better at night!!!

012.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom