Builds 1977 FJ40 - USA Spec Restoration - Father & Son Project - AKA "Belle" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DirtDauberGarage

SILVER Star
Threads
I am fairly new to MUD, but it is my new passion! I wanted a father and son project for me and my 12 year son. After posting a "Wanted" add on the Wanted - I GOT ONE!! - Wanted FJ40 Project - ATLANTA GA thread, I purchased a USA Spec FJ40 from another member.

THE GOOD
- USA Model
- The price! It was totally in my budget!!!
- 95% of the parts were there
- The tub is 100% rust free
- Doors and top 95% rust free
- 1977 F2 motor, 4 speed, disc breaks
- Ran good when parked and disassembled

THE BAD
- It is going to be a lot of work
- I wasn't the one who took it apart :)

Obviously the good all out weigh the bad. I have restored a couple other vehicles, so I know what it is going to take. I am excited about doing this with my son. He is like me and loves to get his hands dirty, so here we go...

Here is how it looked when I showed up to get her...

IMG_1491.JPG

IMG_1492.JPG

IMG_1493.JPG

IMG_1494.JPG

IMG_1495.JPG

Last edited:
I live in Atlanta, GA and it was up by Chattanooga TN. I rented a trailer and drove about 2.5 hours away with a good friend who is restoring a 1980 FJ40 and his son to pick it up. We had a great time and had some of the best BBQ I have ever tasted (Thatcher's BBQ). We also created some good memories which is goal #1 :)

Here is what it looked like when we got all the parts out of the shop and into the sun light. It was like Christmas for me!! :)

IMG_1610.JPG

IMG_1611.JPG

IMG_1612.JPG

Last edited:
We put it back together enough to load it on the trailer and ratchet strapped everything down. 2.5 hours back home with a short pit stop at the BBQ place!

PS - My Sequoia pulled it like a champ!!! That is the first time I have pulled something this heavy and it did great. I don't have electric breaks so I made sure to leave lots of room in front of me, but it stopped GREAT. I drove about 65 on the highway and you could hardly tell it was there. The only time I could really tell is when accelerating from a complete stop. I had to give it a little extra gas, but no problem at all. I LOVE TOYOTA!!!

IMG_1614.JPG

IMG_1618.JPG

IMG_1619.JPG

Body repair and panel replacement is a cash killer and mathematically goes to the 3rd square if you don't have the time, tools & talent. Having a good rust free body is going to put you way ahead. I've done some muscle car restoration which will help when I dig into my body.

I'm a Mud Rookie and been doing a lot of reading and learning. Hopefully it will cut down on some really stupid questions i'm getting to unleash on this forum. There are some super smart dudes here.

Good luck with your project and am looking forward to seeing your progress.

Last edited:
Once I got it home and in my shop, I set one of the fenders and the hood on it to get a pic or two of what "looks like a FJ40" before I blow it all apart and start the frame up restoration.

I had to clean up some stuff, get rid of some stuff, and make room for my new toy ;)

PS - My shop has a 7 foot ceiling and I have been planning to raise it to 10 feet. I guess I better do that soon if I plan to put that 2.5 inch OME lift kit on it (Hahaha!)

IMG_1623.jpg

IMG_1627.jpg

Last edited:
Body repair and panel replacement is a cash killer and mathematical goes to the 3rd square if you don't have the time, tools & talent. Having a good rust free body is going to put you way ahead. I've done some muscle car restoration which will help when I do into my body.

I'm a Mud Rookie and been doing a lot of reading and learning. Hopefully it will cut down on some really stupid questions i'm getting to unleash on this forum. There are some super smart dudes here.

Good luck with your project and am looking forward to seeing your progress.

Thanks! I too have done a couple classic cars and I have always wanted a FJ40.

My advice to anyone wanting to do something like this is "do it"!! If you need help finding one, post a wanted add. You will get lots of good advice, meet some awesome people, and get some great leads on a project.

Feel free to PM if there is anything I can do to help!!

Matthew

Last edited:
Today I went through all the parts and boxes. Luckily the PO "bagged and tagged" most everything. I organized everything and I have started making a list of things I need. I'm going to strip down the frame and get it sand blasted and painted.

To save money my plan is to only spend money and fix things that will be too hard to do later. For example, I am going to sandblast and paint the frame, but I will clean up the original leaf springs and "rattle can" them because that can be swapped out later. I will replace the tie rod ends, and all the bushing, etc. now.

Anything that is a safety issue, or can't be done later, I will do now...

What do you guys think about the clutch and rear main seal??? Should I go ahead and do that with the engine out?

What else would you suggest that I do now?

Thanks!!!

Matthew

Pluses IMO :

- Front Disc Brakes

- 2F engine

- 4 speed (H42 assuming ) so u have a synchronized first gear

- hard top has Flip Out rear windows

- the best part is u will have hours of Family Father Son Time ahead ...............;)

a278aab49c2c618a3ab0b90011cac209.jpg

Here is a pic of my organized chaos :)

I also set the seats in it so I could sit in it for the first time!! I can't wait to be driving this thing!!!!

IMG_1641.JPG

IMG_1645.JPG

IMG_1646.JPG

IMG_1640.JPG

The only problem I see is the tub is an early model so the spare tire carrier will not fit without modification. 75-76. Other that that you have a good foundation to start with. Good luck with the build!

The spare tire is an OEM rim. I also got a complete set of five hubcaps, and I am pretty sure that this tire is original. The rim looks BRAND NEW and the tire is not dry rotted too bad, but I would probably not try and drive on it. It has probably been on this rim in a garage its entire life of 41 years!!

IMG_1642.JPG

IMG_1643.JPG

The only problem I see is the tub is an early model so the spare tire carrier will not fit without modification. 75-76. Other that that you have a good foundation to start with. Good luck with the build!

The bracket for the the tubular spare tire rack is there. I just need to drill the holes. I am not sure what I need to do about the back door hinges. I will have to fix that. Is there a bracket I need to weld in with the nuts on it like the tire rack?? I need to do some research.

I also want to clean up some of the welds on the the tub and some small other "clean up" items before it is ready for paint. Note the spot weld holes that were not welded and the roll bar bolts that need to be removed.

There are a lot of little things like that, but nothing major.

IMG_1647.JPG

IMG_1648.JPG

Last edited:
My avatar is the color I am leaning toward. Mine is a 1977 and the original color is "sky blue". I can't decide if I like the darker blue that was not available until 1978 better.

...honestly I pretty much like all the factory colors, but I like the "sky blue" and "medium blue" best.

I might just go with the "sky blue" to keep it original.

IMG_1069.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom