Builds 1977 FJ40 - USA Spec Restoration - Father & Son Project - AKA "Belle" (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice score. Even though disassembled it looks like it is in good condition. 77 is the best year IMHO. Let me know if you need pics when re-assembling. I even have all my stock smog equipment in place for reference. ( Thanks California!)

Nice score. Even though disassembled it looks like it is in good condition. 77 is the best year IMHO. Let me know if you need pics when re-assembling. I even have all my stock smog equipment in place for reference. ( Thanks California!)
Awesome!! Thank you!!

I need a pic of the back quarter panel from the inside. I need to figure out how to install the lower door hinge.

Matthew

Hi Vexvader-

Nice score on your 77! I also have a 77 build date NOV 76. Looking forward to your thread on your build. I am just preserving mine hoping I can do a frame off like you in about 5 years. I noticed thorsic1977 offered you reference pics for re-assemble. I would recommend taking him up on his offer due to the fact you did not diss-assemble and document your truck. I started tacking pics of mine after the fact and wished I had taken more. You can never have enough pics of these vehicles in my opinion. Best of luck on your father and son project can't wait to follow along!

Hi Vexvader-

Nice score on your 77! I also have a 77 build date NOV 76. Looking forward to your thread on your build. I am just preserving mine hoping I can do a frame off like you in about 5 years. I noticed thorsic1977 offered you reference pics for re-assemble. I would recommend taking him up on his offer due to the fact you did not diss-assemble and document your truck. I started tacking pics of mine after the fact and wished I had taken more. You can never have enough pics of these vehicles in my opinion. Best of luck on your father and son project can't wait to follow along!

Thank you!! Will do!

I have a good friend that lives 5 mins away and is a step a head of me with his frame off restoration of a 1980 FJ40 we are learning as we go... together.

I work until about 2:00 pm PST today. Look for pics after that 3:00 - 4:00 pm PST

I look forward to them.

Thank you very much!!!

Matthew

I got a lot done today...

- Took the top off and apart (a lot more work then I thought it would be)
- Took the tub off the frame
- Put the tub on a dolly on its side so I can start with the underside
- Organized the shop a little (I need to organize some more tomorrow)

Next...

- Pull the motor and the axles
- Start cleaning up the frame a little
- Send the frame to the sandblaster and painter

IMG_1654.JPG

IMG_1655.JPG

IMG_1656.JPG

Last edited:
For the ambulance doors on the rear? Which side?

Yes, the ambulance door on the rear. I need a pic of the inside bottom hinge on both sides. I looked at a buddies of mine and i am 95% sure there isn't a bracket on the inside, but a few more pics would help.

Thank you,

Matthew

Question???

I have seen some kits on line pre-cut "frame stiffeners" to weld into the back of the frame. My background is in muscle cars and it was always good to stiffen up the frames to help them handle better, but I have heard you want 4x4's to flex and twist???

I don't plan to do any "rock crawling" mostly driving on dirt roads so...

...do I want a stiff frame or one that flexes?

Thoughts?????

Last edited:
Question???

I have seen some kits on line pre-cut "frame stiffeners" to weld into the back of the frame. My background is in muscle cars and it was always good to stiffen up the frames to help them handle better, but I have heard you want 4x4's to flex and twist???

I don't plan to do any "rock crawling" mostly driving on dirt roads so...

...do I want a stiff frame or one the flexes?

Thoughts?????

Are you doing a restoration or a resto mod?

My avatar is the color I am leaning toward. Mine is a 1977 and the original color is "sky blue". I can't decide if I like the darker blue that was not available until 1978 better.

...honestly I pretty much like all the factory colors, but I like the "sky blue" and "medium blue" best.

I might just go with the "sky blue" to keep it original.

View attachment 1837620
Sky Blue all the way!

Sky Blue all the way!

Thanks... I am leaning that way I think.

I am going to keep it mostly original, but with some improvements. If a stiffer frame is better, then I will plan to do that :)

Send some pics of yours once you get it painted

Matthew

Good old faithful Sequoia working for me again!!

Doing a favor the wife and picking up a new couch... Happy wife = Happy life!!

002.JPG

003.JPG

I'm thinking about installing a 3/2 lift on the Sequoia just to give it a little meaner stance :mad:

001.JPG

Yes absolutely do the clutch and RMS. That’s a lot easier to do with everything out versus doing it while in the truck. The RMS is often the source of an oil leak and really cheap. Do it now so you won’t regret t later.

Thank you for the advice... I think I will do it!

Matthew

Thanks... I am leaning that way I think.

I am going to keep it mostly original, but with some improvements. If a stiffer frame is better, then I will plan to do that :)

Send some pics of yours once you get it painted

Matthew
Will do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom