Builds 1977 FJ40 - USA Spec Restoration - Father & Son Project - AKA "Belle" (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You may know this already, but a new OEM bumper is still available for $200 at CCOT.
That is a good deal. I'm going to see if I can get this one a little straighter. I think it will work for me... and save me $200 :)

Spent the afternoon working through the engine bay wiring harness. Cutting out old hacked up switches and cleaning up some sketchy wiring. Crossed a mile stone at the end. First time start with the key. No more hot-wiring it get it started. I also got the front lights working.

It only took seven fuses for me to chase down a faulty ground.

I am learning a ton about how to read wiring schematics!

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0865.jpg

70147142414__4866164B-A9EC-4D5C-969B-F9FAF0484FC7.jpg

1977 FJ40 Wiring Dag Engine.jpg

Last edited:
Started replacing the rusted section of my trans hump.

- Made a templete
- Cut a piece from the donor hump
- Cut out the rusted piece
- Started shaping the new piece

I will weld in the new piece and and finish the job tomorrow :)

IMG_0912.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_0914.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

Had some friends over today. The neighbors probably thought I had lost my mind and bought one of every color.

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_1400.jpg

Either that or wondering why you didn't buy a blue one. :)
I already have a blue one. I should have pulled it out into the culd-a-sac for the pic.

IMG_0691.jpg

I got a little more work done...

- Painted the hood, hood latches and trans cover
- Installed the seats and brackets
- Installed wiper motor and linkage
- Installed gas tank and fuel lines

To Do
- Hook up turn signals, running lights and brake lights
- Install windshield
- Install heater and dash
- Might need to rebuild the carb
- Eventually recover the seats
- Start working on the doors, top, and sides (little bit of rust work and paint)

IMG_1454.jpg

IMG_1453.jpg

IMG_1452.jpg

Last edited:
That thing is coming along nicely! I'm sure it seems like a lot, but as those things come together it's going to feel like a finished product and look so good. You'll get there. Keep pushing through it. Very nice job.
Thank you. Yes, I see the light at the end of the tunnel :)

I am just thankful that I now have a project that is on the road and drivable. It was a long four years of looking at it in the garage, pushing it in and out to work on. It is so sweet not to just turn the key and fire it up!!!

Last edited:
I spent the day rewiring the rear lights. The harness was cut off and nothing past the gas take harness. I talked to Toyota Matt and found out no one makes the original 1977 4 prong plugs because they are a bad design (not dedicated ground) so I upgraded to the newer 5 prong ones (I think 1978 and newer). I got the driving lights and break lights to work. Still need to hook up turn signals and back up lights, but it feels good to continue moving forward.

IMG_1647.jpg

IMG_1648.jpg

IMG_1649.jpg

IMG_1650.jpg

IMG_1651.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom