1977 FJ40 - "Hard Knocks" Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ive got an original build thread buried way back in here, but I did I terrible job of keeping it up to date. It'll be cleaner and easier to start new:

Short story:
I was a senior in high school and decided I wanted an old Land Cruiser. I did not want a project, rather one to slowly learn the ropes and go So after looking at a few trucks on craigslist I pulled the trigger on a '77.

1367a6b5.jpg

It soon became apparent that the truck was in terrible shape and needed lots of work. What do I do?.... Sell it and get a better one?.... NO!.... Start tearing it apart in the garage! I will just hit the main problem areas and not dive too deep.

00b86352.jpg

At this point I was politely told to get this s*** out of the garage, so lucked up and was able to rent a couple bays from a neighbors shop.

BF766231-4744-47C7-A764-07F6FC0BB3C8-9978-0000088B8EFC791E.jpg

I think this is where I probably said my first, "well while I am here". So now what had started off as a simple fixer upper, has now escalated into a full blow restoration. On a high school budget. Here goes nothing!

2ac7a14d.jpg

18a0c359 (2).jpg

977721e3.jpg

c39178de.jpg

At this point I came to the realization that the body needed a TON of work. Multiple coats of bondo, holes, and even a borrowed street sign incorporated into the floor pan. Ill focus on the frame for now. Wire wheel and elbow grease.

b649fd59.jpg

Last edited:
Many many many hours of wire wheeling, POR15 metal prep & paint later I ended up with something like this:

efe658d3.jpg

19af4d80.jpg

image-1268050227.jpg

Always searching craigslist, I found something that could be helpful... a parts truck! This has officially gotten out of hand.

f0629eac.jpg

Turns out the body was in terrific shape, only needed some slight quarter panel patching. Saves me some work on my rusty tub! Lets get it shot with some primer. Now some may notice the tool box on the floor. It is a 1971 tub, in hindsight I probably should not have done this, but at the time it really did save my ass on the metal repair. I think it makes my build unique to me, but it defiantly led to some head aches down the road!

image-2805453353.jpg

Last edited:
Its 2012 and I headed off to college, so not much happened for the first couple years :beer:

Well I did manage to get it painted:
IMG_2238.jpg

2009E3B3-3EB5-47C0-8FB9-25DFF5460CF1-304-0000001D186EC39E.jpg

Around 2014 I needed to get this thing going. I moved it to a friends auto shop and with the help of their mechanic we got it some what put back together. Even drivable around the parking lot!

photo 5_zpseooepxbn (2).jpg

photo 6_zpsudwmut8s (2).jpg

At some point it got power steering!

36C263D0-6D38-4497-9EC7-F51CA8D77792-1499-000000FF83FF66D7_zps2cc45179.jpg

Last edited:
Also at some point in all of this I rebuilt the front knuckles.... I hear you can't be a cruiser guy until you do this...

f2cd8b36.jpg

a6c057f2 (2).jpg

After the land cruiser spent some time getting much needed dedicated attention, I was able to drive it home! Still a lot to do!

IMG_7009.jpg

Once again the project stalled, not much forward progress. Although I did use it for scouting some new deer property.
IMG_1072.JPG

Last edited:
I graduated college, so the truck and I returned to Atlanta.

This is where something big changed about the restoration... Funding! I landed a job here in Atlanta with a commercial general contractor. Lets get this thing going! How about a soft top?
IMG_3475.jpg

IMG_3477.jpg

Figure I should tackle the leaky timing cover, I can only put it off for so long....

IMG_4315.JPG

IMG_4340.JPG

IMG_4346.JPG

Last edited:
Gas tank needed to be cleaned out after years of little use. Full chemical strip and professional coating. New OEM fuel pump, fuel lines, and @Trollhole carburetor.
IMG_4485.JPG

It is starting to come together! New coolant over flow bottle (@ToyotaMatt), and OEM H4 headlights. Both terrific upgrades!
IMG_5320.JPG

Cleaned up my dash items and rear heater:

IMG_5777.JPG

IMG_5663.JPG
IMG_5783.JPG

Last edited:
Things were rocking and rolling at this point, so naturally something needed to go wrong.... One of the last things on the truck I haven't touched were the rear axle and wiring harness. Ill let you take a guess which one failed:

IMG_5276.JPG

Don't worry, we deal with the rear axle soon....

I tracked down a nice used harness, and swopped it in along with HD battery cables and some nice finishing touches from @Coolerman. Easy!

IMG_5607.JPG

Also got my tailgate mounted. Starting to feel like a finished truck. Thanks again for the help @LDowney !

IMG_6385.JPG

Oh yeah, I finished rebuilding my doors and got them mounted. If I never have to put weatherstripping in these doors again, I will be quite content. Never again.

IMG_6378.jpg

So now that I've got the truck back on the road, its time for some new tires. After all the ones that came off were 10 year old Chinese tires... yuck!

IMG_6305.JPG

Last edited:
All of this work, plenty not pictured, has gotten us here. Feels great.

IMG_6429.PNG

IMG_6334.JPG

Ive got my antique 4x4 all fixed up and running well, it'd be a shame to leave it in the garage. Time for its first real putting in quite some time.
IMG_6453.JPG

Cover your eyes @GA Architect. I really need to put that slash guard back on.....

IMG_6454.JPG

Last edited:
On the way home from the mountains, I had some carburetor issues. For what ever reason, my secondary decided to not work. Doesn't make for a fast drive home. Off with the carb and back to Marshall. While it is off getting looked at, why don't I change out my brake likes with these stainless steel ones Ive had sitting on the shelf for quite some time. When I get to the rear drums, they are nasty. Time for a rebuild as well. Well turns out for the same cost I could go with disc brakes. I am not 100% dedicated to stock, so this was an easy decision.
IMG_6837.JPG

Pulled my diff to find all the gears to be pitted, and the bearings not rolling so well. Luckily I found a replacement diff in good shape. I checked all of the internals, replaced the seal and washers, and cleaned the housing.

IMG_6957.jpg

Since the axle is pretty much stripped, why not pull it and clean the entire thing up. "while I am here". New bearings, seals, studs, etc...
IMG_6892.JPG

41D99039-1952-4AA7-A1F7-F5884EA0032C.jpeg

IMG_6958.JPG

Last edited:
And while I did not even come close to documenting all of the work, this pretty much brings me to today. I will be sure to keep this update from here on out. I have learned a ton from my mistakes, and wouldn't want to done it any other way.

Thank you:
@Wadesters
@HENDOG
@LDowney
@Trollhole
@Coolerman
@cims1970fj40
@GA Architect
& the rest of Ih8mud

And what did I do today?.... Lean drop the fresh carb, and test drive. Runs great! Still need to bleed some air out of the brake lines though. Ignore the low vacuum, I am idling at 19", 650RPM, slightly advanced timing.

IMG_7005.JPG

Last edited:
@MTMudpuppy , I need to go back and add some dates, but a rough time line is:

Late 2011- purchased
2012- tear down
2014- first drive around a parking lot
2015- drove it home
2018- 2.0 of the rebuild

So this has been brewing for 8 or so years....

Got a question on suspension and tires.

4” kit from TPI
2deg rear axle shim
BFG km3 33x10.5r15

Is this the Trunk Monkey? Glad I could be of some help. Now follow me!!!

93.jpeg

@HENDOG , sure is and I’ll be sure to leave some room! Still have the SWB45?

So let me ask the crowd a question. I noticed that my front axle was missing the 6deg shims from the TPI kit, so I ordered replacements. I spoke with TPI and this will correct steering caster angles. This would explain how when turning at low speeds some times there’s a lag then the truck will shoot off to which ever direction you are turning.

These are made from cast metal... should I be worried about cracking? The 2deg shims I got for my rear axle from @orangefj45 are machined and seem much more durable.

50286A20-1F04-47DF-8B5A-9A082B5DBADE.jpeg

Edit: Decided to just go for it and bolted them on, noticeable improvement when turning at slow speeds.

F8A7382A-B8FB-4CE6-AB17-3FCC8585DBCB.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom