1977 FJ40 jack placement and mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Malleus

Far west of Siegen
Threads
Can someone show me what the OEM 1977 jack arrangement looked like?

My 1976 had this under the driver's seat:
1654634135421.png

My 1977 has only one hole in the floor under the seat to bolt the mount down, and a corresponding nut on the underside, where I would have expected three.

I don't have a photo, but it's the same as your 76. My 78 is the same as my 76. It changed in the 79 model year.

So, it's a safe bet someone plugged the other two holes and my weldnuts were lost to the ages?

So, it's a safe bet someone plugged the other two holes and my weldnuts were lost to the ages?

The jack went further in and expanded against the step in the floor under the seat and that bracket. The tool pouch was straped down closer to the door.

So I'm missing two holes for the jack top support, and two for the toolbag strap?

Any idea which fiche these are on? They're not on this one:
1654646747139.png

Last edited:
Not around either my 73 or 76. But as I remember there is a upside-down V bracket welded to the floor to keep tool pouch from sliding. Then footman loops on either side for the strap. Could be my 65 FJ45LP-B I'm thinking of. I do know the jack bracket uses three bolts one on either side and the one in the center.

Many thanks! That's what I needed.

This may help as well. Looks like the mounting points for the tool bag are center-mast in the indentations.

IMG_3170.JPG

Last edited:
This may help as well. Looks like the mounting points for the tool bag are center-mast in the indentations.

View attachment 3028490
Many thanks again! I think I found the missing hard points after I saw your photo. Some kind soul coated the floor with some mustard looking crap, before coating it with bedliner, so I had to peer through that.

I still need to scrape off some undercoating, but I'm sure I'm missing all but one weldnut. Now all I have to do is find the missing hardware.

Waiting for City Racer to get back from vacation to see what he has, and what I need to scrounge used.

My '77 had the same setup, but I found moving the jack to the newer jack storage location by the pillar more useful, as it left the full underseat area to store my toolboxes.

I dug out my 76 enough to get a few pictures.
The original bracket for the jack and pad the jack rests on at the back are still there. Obviously what I remember about the tool pouch was for the FJ45LP-B. Can see the four bolts where the two straps was attached.
20220608_130814.jpg

What is left of the straps were in the glovebox. If I remove them not sure but guessing I did. Keeping the straps and replacing the bolts is something I would do.
20220608_132431.jpg

Can find any info on when the two straps were replaced my a single rubber band. Should be easy to Teel by the fixed nut. Rubber the nuts are in areas the rib was flattened.

I think I've found that through '78 there was a band with a clip on it, after that, just the rubber band.

My '77 had the same setup, but I found moving the jack to the newer jack storage location by the pillar more useful, as it left the full underseat area to store my toolboxes.
New storage location?

My 75 had the worn out straps and hardware. Thru the years, I always cut straps and catches off of things I'm going to pitch. I have an industrial sewing machine, that likes to poke thru heavy material. It's very handy.

The tool bag is Toyota, but is probably not correct.

@Living in the Past , it looks like your missing 2 "D" rings. You might look deeper in the glove box. I had to make one of the rectangular ones.

Last edited:
New storage location?
Actually, I replaced the stock jack with a Walker hydraulic that I keep under the left side of the seat frame, but would have made a bracket for the stock jack by the pillar. That is where later models located the jack if I'm not mistaken. I used the space by the pillar for a fire extinguisher with a mount I made. I also have a hilift. I'll figure out a spot for the stock jack at some point.

Fire extinguisher.jpeg

Jackmount.jpeg

Well, like most things, once you see it, that's pretty obvious

I like the whole arrangement!

My 75 had the worn out straps and hardware. Thru the years, I always cut straps and catches off of things I'm going to pitch. I have an industrial sewing machine, that likes to poke thru heavy material. It's very handy.

The tool bag is Toyota, but is probably not correct.

@Living in the Past , it looks like your missing 2 "D" rings. You might look deeper in the glove box. I had to make one of the rectangular ones.

I do not have an industrial sewing machine and need a second set for my 73 that had just the bracket for the jack. Did get lucky and at least I removed the carpet that was glued to the floor before anything rusted. Was in a garage with a hard top when I bought it which helped alot.

I too save any and all hardware I come across. No more D rings in the glovebox. It is interesting the cotton straps rotted away but the rubber floor mats are in great shape. Vehicle only has 4500 miles on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom