1977 FJ40 H55F Extended Parking Brake Cable (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Will Van

GOLD Star
Threads
I have a 1977 FJ40 and I'm doing an H55F swap with a t-case drum parking brake. It has the "T" style of parking brake cable end.

Does anyone know if there is an OEM Toyota parking cable that is extended 7" to 8" (68" total) that has the "T" style end?

I think Toyota PN 46410-60050 is 68" long, but I'm not sure it has the correct cable end.

7-A50-CA5-B-8-FF9-4576-BC9-F-D018-D75-E29-AC.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I was able to remove the old brake cable from the backing plate utilizing this writeup.

Last edited:
Well, I was at least able to get the parking brake cable assembly removed from the truck.
F37-C2791-0-E10-43-C9-B795-9-A42-DE7-A4013.jpg

You can see the "T" end style I was talking about.
7-C0-FC334-B1-A5-40-B6-9-C16-3802-DB751851.jpg

I still haven't figured out how to separate the cable from the backing plate. I should probably start by stripping it down.
8679-CE64-ACB6-4-D80-9-D00-801-D1127-B519.jpg

C84-EDB0-F-AE01-4-D2-D-A084-71-AE01564-D91.jpg

I'll probably just send the cable to Push-Pull once I get everything separated.

So the whole point of this thread was to find a 68" long parking brake that had the same cab-side T-end as the OEM setup. That way everything worked like stock.

I assumed that if I could get the brake cable out, I could send it to Push-Pull.com and they would fabricate a cable that matched the OEM Toyota stuff perfectly.

Unfortunately after calling Push-Pull.com, they do not use OEM-style components, but just generic SAE components that you make work with the Toyota e-brake handle assembly. That is not really what I wanted.

I called JTOutfitters because their website appeared to have the correct T-style end, but I wasn't sure which cable was 68" long.
4641060092a.jpg

They confirmed that all of their brake cables have the T-style end, and that the "7/70 - 1/75 (3 speed)" option in the drop-down menu is 68" long.

I have placed my order and will report back once I receive the cable to confirm that it is correct.

Thanks for watching!

...oh sweet Jesus... Good luck with JT Outfitters.

How so? I’ve ordered from them before and been satisfied. Did you have a bad experience?

He means this:

Caveat emptor.

He means this:

Caveat emptor.

Well that is unfortunate. We’ll see how this plays out. Luckily the cable was not very expensive. I also used PayPal, which has a lot of protection for the Buyer.

...well, it's not as bad as buying an extended car warranty from a Nigerian Prince. Joe may chose to ship the parts to you promptly... maybe.

Good luck with your project!

You know what they say about the internet - The best way to get the correct answer is to post the wrong one. :rofl:

Last edited:
...oh sweet Jesus... Good luck with JT Outfitters.
You've only but to query.
He means this:

Caveat emptor.

You guys were right about JT Outfitters. He sent the wrong parking brake cable altogether. It was Toyota PN: 46410-60021, which is only 64” long AND doesn’t have the “T” style end. On the phone he assured me that ALL of their parking brake cables have the "T" style end.

I have already returned it and received a refund.

I went ahead and ordered Toyota PN: 46410-60050 (from a different vendor), which is 68” long, but also does not have the “T” style end. I’ll let you know if I can get it to work.

Basically I need to convert this eyelet fitting...
B1564951-3-C59-46-B2-A13-A-DDCF0-A483-DD8.jpg

...into a "T" style fitting.

Last edited:
Might try seeing if you can use parts from a 1/75-3/76 parking brake handle. I show the cable changed from coming thru the fire wall to thru the floor 1/75 and still shows a eye on the end not a T. Issue I think is the short threaded section will be a problem. They the firewall anchored on the firewall. Your style secures on the brace for the handle. That part would need to be modified but could be a option.
The reason the one you have is longer is because it ran outside the firewall instead inside.

If you sharpen your boolean operators and Google-fu I bet you can find a swage able T fitting at a supplier like Grainer or McMaster Carr.
Sorry JTO didn’t work out for you.
If it makes you feel any better, I went through two NOS BJ/HZJxx parking brake cables (both ordered from overseas at not-so-insignifigant cost) before I found one the right length for my application.
Sometimes burning good money on bad hunches is the only way to get the job done.

If you sharpen your boolean operators and Google-fu I bet you can find a swage able T fitting at a supplier like Grainer or McMaster Carr.
Sorry JTO didn’t work out for you.
If it makes you feel any better, I went through two NOS BJ/HZJxx parking brake cables (both ordered from overseas at not-so-insignifigant cost) before I found one the right length for my application.
Sometimes burning good money on bad hunches is the only way to get the job done.

It's not just the T at the end. There is a long threaded section at the end for a reason. The threaded section is used to secure the cable in the mounting bracket. Slides thru the bracket and nut holds it in place.

It's not just the T at the end. There is a long threaded section at the end for a reason. The threaded section is used to secure the cable in the mounting bracket. Slides thru the bracket and nut holds it in place.

Both cables have the long threaded section at the end. And they are basically the same length of threads. But the original cable has flat spots machined into the threads. Presumably to mount onto the bracket?
ED723351-ED15-4-D86-908-D-13-D51-A575809.jpg

Also, I'm really confused that this is the first time this has come up. I would expect people have been swapping H55F 5-speed transmissions into their 40 series Cruisers for decades now. But the only advice I can find is "Call Push-Pull.com". That was a dead-end for me because they just use SAE hardware and conventional cable ends. Its up to the user to fabricate the cable into the bracket. Which puts me right back to where I am now. What am I missing here?

Maybe I should just convert to a 1/75-3/76 parking brake handle as @Living in the Past suggested? Then I could just utilize the OEM 68" long cable with the eyelet? Is everything else the same?

I did a little more research on the 1/75 - 3/76 parking brake handle assembly.

It looks like it might work, but I can't find an actual photo of the bracket itself.
3-E632-E11-108-E-41-D6-AABC-A8-A823-F3-E7-AD.jpg

85-C5-D1-B2-CFD3-4-E67-B15-C-E510-B1113917.jpg

Anybody have a photo from this angle of the 1/75 to 3/76 parking brake handle assembly? (Disregard the text, it's the only photo I could find).
brake-assembly.jpg

I never found a longer one. I rotated my ebrake backing plate around and ran the cable overtop of the tcase. I can’t remember how I did it I would have to go look and I tweaked the bracket under the dash. To allow me more length. There is a thread on mud about getting one made but I don’t know if there was any other solution basically i reindexed the backing plate to make the cable fit.

I never found a longer one. I rotated my ebrake backing plate around and ran the cable overtop of the tcase. I can’t remember how I did it I would have to go look and I tweaked the bracket under the dash. To allow me more length. There is a thread on mud about getting one made but I don’t know if there was any other solution basically i reindexed the backing plate to make the cable fit.
IIRC the FJ55 backing plate has the cable entering on the opposite side of the assembly as the FJ40, but I don't remember the details. Is that what you did?

Don't know if this will help though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom