1977 FJ40 H55 conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Please help.

I want to fit an H55 gearbox to my 1977 FJ40.

In the UK I have sourced the following parts from Toyota;
H55 gearbox part no. 33030-60450
Transfer case part no. 36110-6E181
or
Transfer case part no. 36110-6E180

Pls can anyone advise me about compatibility issues, shaft diameters or spline numbers.

I plan to move the chassis torque bar, fit a disc brake E brake conversion kit from Cruiser Parts and have the prop shafts shortened/replaced.

All I know about this is what I have read on this forum and on the internet.

I can't find anyone in the UK who has done this before, so would be grateful for any helpful advise.

1.jpg
I

Last edited:
I did it with an H55 mated to an FJ62 split case all with the last ever available Man a Fre FJ40 parking brake kit. I used a modified FJ60 three piece crossmember lowering the parking brake below the torsion tube. Because the H55 is longer than the H41 having the crossmember is wise rather than having the longer weight hanging off the engine without support. I know @Poser did one for someone after the MAF kits were all gone. Maybe you can get some advice from him.

Edit: if that is a pic of your truck it looks great.

I did it with an H55 mated to an FJ62 split case all with the last ever available Man a Fre FJ40 parking brake kit. I used a modified FJ60 three piece crossmember lowering the parking brake below the torsion tube. Because the H55 is longer than the H41 having the crossmember is wise rather than having the longer weight hanging off the engine without support. I know @Poser did one for someone after the MAF kits were all gone. Maybe you can get some advice from him.

Edit: if that is a pic of your truck it looks great.
Please help.

I want to fit an H55 gearbox to my 1977 FJ40.

In the UK I have sourced the following parts from Toyota;
H55 gearbox part no. 33030-60450
Transfer case part no. 36110-6E181
or
Transfer case part no. 36110-6E180

Pls can anyone advise me about compatibility issues, shaft diameters or spline numbers.

I plan to move the chassis torque bar, fit a disc brake E brake conversion kit from Cruiser Parts and have the prop shafts shortened/replaced.

All I know about this is what I have read on this forum and on the internet.

I can't find anyone in the UK who has done this before, so would be grateful for any helpful advise.

View attachment 2513095I
I have a 1978 FJ40 and I am planning on upgrading to the H55F and split transfer case and you can get them already assembled. You can get a kit with a disc brake kit to replace the drum brake like on the stock transfer case. the other option is to convert the rear axle to disc brakes and the parking brake drum inside the rear rotors.
I am going to get a full floating fj40 rear axle and convert it to disk brake and keep a parking brake on the T case.
The H55F will bolt up to the 2F bellhousing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom