1977 FJ40 floor mats (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My build is moving along pretty well. Complete body off restoration, staying very close to stock (except a small lift). The engine frame and driveline are rebuilt and reassembled. A bunch of stuff is at the platers getting yellow zinc plating. I should update my original intro thread.

I have been reading about floor mats today. I guess @Racer65 hasn't come up with one? I want something that covers the entire floor like the OEM one. It seems the only two options for my year are a Tuff tread liner from SOR and the AUssie one from CCOT

CCOT:FJ40 Aussie Mats - Click Image to Enlarge
SOR: Page 345 Land Cruiser SOR Tuff Tread Floor Liners

I think the Aussie one is the way to go, considering the work I have done so far. Does anyone have any experience with it? If I go with the Aussie should I get some insulation to put under it, or is it thick enough to not need it? I am using a CCOT A/C unit and live in SC , where it gets pretty warm. As a teen I remember pouring water on the floorboard of our 73 FJ40 on long drives!

I will probably go with the rear cargo liner on the CCOT page as well.

After looking at the work that the body shop is doing, I want to put something down to protect the finish. I removed the stock asphalt insulation from the floor and plan to remove it from the tranny tunnel.

Sorry for the ramblings, just trying to work through this and trying to avoid posting finishing pictures and someone saying "hey, why didn't you go with......"

thanks.

Ernest, based on your links above I believe the CCOT floor mat looks the best.

How's the build coming along? I haven't seen any pics posted lately.

Not much going on lately. I had a minor setback a few weeks ago. I bought new rear quarters and the shop went to put them on and they were the wrong year. The vendor took a few weeks to get me the correct ones, as they are built to order. The shop put my project on the back burner, and it took me some time to get them motivated again.

Currently, the body is getting prepped for paint and hopefully it will get primer by the end of next week. I originally told the shop I wanted to fit everything when it was in primer, then take it back apart for paint. But, I have seen several threads that put the car together painted, then touched up any assembly scratches. I Have a used bib and new fenders that I am concerned with fitting.

All of my recent pictures have been of nuts, bolts and ziploc bags!

Thanks for asking.

I've got the CCOT mat I installed last summer. I get a few pics in the morning.

Here is the mat in my '84 HJ47. I really like it so far. The material is thin, like 1/4" with the foam, do I used an underlayment.

image.jpg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I've got the CCOT mat I installed last summer. I get a few pics in the morning.

So you used a LHD mat in a RHD truck? Everything still fit ok?

@HJ47 The mat looks nice, and I have been working with similar material from the land down under. My main reservation, which is one of the reasons I haven't moved forward, is that there is so much foam. Looks like you have added more foam underneath. Foam tends to trap moisture, which may or may not be an issue depending on where you live. Many trucks are run topless, kept outside, or have leaky tops. Foam can soak up the water and subsequently rust out the floor. If the truck is always garaged it may be OK, but I need my hose-out interior!

@HJ47 The mat looks nice, and I have been working with similar material from the land down under. My main reservation, which is one of the reasons I haven't moved forward, is that there is so much foam. Looks like you have added more foam underneath. Foam tends to trap moisture, which may or may not be an issue depending on where you live. Many trucks are run topless, kept outside, or have leaky tops. Foam can soak up the water and subsequently rust out the floor. If the truck is always garaged it may be OK, but I need my hose-out interior!

The under layment is MLV (mass loaded vinyl) with a closed cell foam. The cut edges absorb some water, but not too bad. Yeah the mat it self has open cell foam as you said. I did a couple coats of Monstaliner roll on bedliner (over a couple coats of Chassis Saver) last summer so the metal is fairly protected. I did decide to order soft top from Frank last summer, but that was after the project. We'll see how it goes. I've been waiting your mat to come to fruition!

Your Euro spec mirrors look sexy in the meantime...

Here's the look until my top gets installed in a few weeks

image.jpeg

@HJ47 , thanks for the pictures, I appreciate you taking the time to post. You have a great looking rig. I think I am going to go the same route as you. I may put down an additional layer of insulation under the mat like the kit CCOT sells. I dont see my rig getting wet very often, so moisture shouldn't be an issue.

When I was building a Factory Five Cobra replica I used some self adhesive heat barrier around the foot boxes. I have been very impressed with how well it works. I may look into something similar.

Did you end up buying this mat? I am looking at it for my '69. From above sounds like it comes with no holes which is good cause I am column shift. I am hoping with the underlay they sell and the mat it cuts down on heat and road noise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom