1977 FJ40 Build Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,
I recently picked up a 1977 FJ40 is fairly good condition. As far as I can tell, the only mods are small lift, 33” tires and steering stabilizer.

I dove into the FAQ section (which was great!) and have been reading a number of threads on here and on Pirate but still have a few questions:

Parts ordered to date:
RuffStuff SOA kit (40 axles)
Saginaw PS kit

Planned Items (asap):
Hysteer
Leafs
ARB air lockers
Atlas
35” or 37” tires
Sliders/Bumpers etc (will build)

Where I’m At:

From what Ive read so far, the FJ40 axles are decent and worth keeping but the knuckles do not support hysteer. The front discs work excellent so I’d love to stick with my current setup and get new knuckles but not sure where to start? Apparently I could switch to MiniTruck knuckles and all of my other parts would still work, can anybody confirm?

Questions:
What is a minitruck? Where can I get the knuckles from one? Can you buy them new? Doing a cut and turn, does that chance anything?

Will all of my current stock 77’ setup bolt up to the minitruck knuckles?

Leafs - FJ40 fronts all around?

Does the low ratio of the atlas mean I could get away with leaving the 4.10s alone for 37” tires?

Apologies if this is all easy info to find, I looked but came up inconclusive. Thanks in advance!

Here is my truck:
0C19E82F-7F53-4711-A1C9-76D0D31E0835.jpeg

AE995E2D-DA31-4F6B-8B1C-4CB651559481.jpeg

A mni truck in this context is an older Toyota pickup. Sorry, can't help with those other questions as they're all outside of my wheelhouse.

mini truck uses the same large bolt pattern knuckles as any Landcruiser, 1979 thru 1990 mini truck is a Toyota pickup or hilux around the world 1979 thru 1985
but with your current plans I would go big and use the 6 shooter assembly with hi steer, then change to the shorter birf or aftermarket birfs

i would change my engine and ALL gear box and axle oils first before you work on your WANTS list ?

NEEDS first

What are your goals for the 40? Hard core rock crawler or just a sweet driver that sees trail use?

Honestly a 40 on little to no lift and 33s is pretty money as far as a driver. I’m sure it will
Surprise you as to where it willG go as well

You can go back to FAQ's at the top of this section and scroll down to frt ends. Click on the 1st thread. Knuckles 101. There's good info on large and small pattern knuckles and what vehicles had them. As mentioned, you might consider 6 shooter knuckles and most definitely alloy birfields.

Thanks everybody for the feedback so far, I completely missed that FAQ on the knuckles and that has been very helpful.

As far as goals, the intention is a purpose build adventure vehicle but not to go too extreme. Some moderate rock crawling along with trail runs and if possible, I'd like to retain the 2F (maybe a Sniper down the road). Currently, one of the main issues is my 4low still feels quite fast, which is where the Atlas comes in.

Does anybody know if the 6 Shooters would still work with my current stock 77' brake setup?

Thanks again for the info!

As far as goals, the intention is a purpose build adventure vehicle but not to go too extreme. Some moderate rock crawling along with trail runs and if possible, I'd like to retain the 2F (maybe a Sniper down the road). Currently, one of the main issues is my 4low still feels quite fast, which is where the Atlas comes in.

Does anybody know if the 6 Shooters would still work with my current stock 77' brake setup?
I would look at the Orion from Advanced Adapters rather than an Atlas. The Atlas will be a centered rear output which necessitates changing the rear axle. Orion is a direct replacement for the stock t-case with a 4:1 low range.

The six stud knuckles should work fine on your 77 front axle. I have a set with high steer arms available for sale from a build that never happened.

I'd be looking at an H55 and 3:1 split case gears instead of an Atlas if you are looking to spend that much. You can get H55 new from Toyota, and the split case from Cruiser Outfitters. I'd also be looking for fj60 axles instead of the 40 axles, especially if you are planning on SOA. They are about 3" wider than 40 axles, and that will create steering and articulation clearance for 35"+. They will also have the disk front and the easier to adjust and change rear drums.

Saginaw is going to be a must with much more than 35's.

I'd also flip the rear leaf packs around to push the rear axle back about 3". Helps with handling quite a bit with the longer wheelbase.

For leaf packs, I would run all fronts, or if you can find them FJ55 packs. Longer, and a little softer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom