1977 FJ40, 4 inch Lift Complete (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,
I"ve just completed the 4 inch lift on my '77 fj40 and thought I would post some finish product pictures. Only trouble I found was the M8 bolts on the stationary leaf spring perch were stripped. Most of them ended up OK with retapping and fresh bolts, but 3 had to be drill out and retapped to a larger size bolt. Also, I received this FJ with terrible Death Wobble. The cause became apparent once I got to the PS leaf spring plate. I found a 3/16 gap and the shim missing. The outside U-bolt was way loose with the nuts fused onto the bolt. Most has taken a heavy hit somewhere recently... No wonder the front axle was bouncing all over!
So, Skyjacker 4 inch springs/ 5100 Bilstein shocks/SOR Pit Bull Shackles/grease-able pins all around. I like the way it turned out and can't wait to get it in the dirt!

20230113_154552.jpg
20230110_131620.jpg

20230110_131706.jpg

20230113_154544.jpg

Unless you check the pinion angle and it is different than most 4 inch lifts, I'm certain that shim is in backwards.

1675031595846.jpeg

^ That’s not correct as said, turn the shim 180°.

^This^ and get steel one from Valley hybrids
Looks like your all correct! Those shims are in backwards. Feeling like a noob mistake, but we live and learn from our errors. Looking back, I see that I followed the shim direction as I found them on the rig. When I received this new FJ, it handled terrible and I could hardy keep it on the road. DW as well... So, driving after reversing the shim direction is like driving a different car. Thanks all for sharpe eyes and advice. I caulk it up to yet one more life lesson and gawd knows, getting close to sainthood....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom