1977 drivers side seat slider disassembly (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

curtislow

Third fj40
Threads
Anybody out there disassembled front drivers seat sliders on a 75-78 fj40. I've removed all the small bolts but something won't allow me to slide the top out. I'd like to get it powder coated in pieces and reassemble. It looks like there is some kinda clip stopping the rollers from coming out. Seemed simple enough.

watching this--I tried the same myself, but could figure it out----

I just removed mine yesterday. There are two bolts, front and rear, on the outside slider mount, and THREE bolts on the inside. You have to look for the third one about 5, 6 inches behind the front one. You want to remove the whole assembly, not just the top slider, because one bolt mounts from underneath the slider.

I just removed mine yesterday. There are two bolts, front and rear, on the outside slider mount, and THREE bolts on the inside. You have to look for the third one about 5, 6 inches behind the front one. You want to remove the whole assembly, not just the top slider, because one bolt mounts from underneath the slider.
Thanks for the info. i got as far as removing the bolts you mentioned, I just can't slide the top piece off the bottom. if you look insde from the end of the assembly you can see a roller with what looks like a wire clip in a u shape that might be the issue.I'm a little leary about bending this clip, I tried a little pressure on it but no go. Anybody know how to defeat this stop so I can seperate the top of the slide from the bottom? Stumped in Ma.

I have never taken one completely apart, but I do know that just removing the bolts doesn't work as you have found. There are rivets that need to be ground off to separate the top seat mount and the bottom mount. Removing these should open it up enough to see what else needs done.

I had mine powder coated and they turned out pretty good without total disassembling. The coater simply ran the slide all the way back, coated. Then ran it forward and coated it. The main slide is not coated and moves freely. Something to think about. Ask him what he thinks, I am sure he has done them before without disassembly.

Last edited:
I have never taken one completely apart, but I do know that just removing the bolts doesn't work as you have found. There are rivets that need to be ground off to separate the top seat mount and the bottom mount. Removing these should open it up enough to see what else needs done.

I had mine powder coated and they turned out pretty good without total disassembling. The coater simply ran the slide all the way back, coated. Then ran it forward and coated it. The main slide is not coated and moves freely. Something to think about. Ask him what he thinks, I am sure he has done them before without disassembly.
Thanks for the reply. I'll probably end up doing as you said,just coating them without diassembling them. It seemed like it was going to be so simple,but like everything else there's always a compromise. My 40 is no show truck but I like to do the best I can.

I had my powder coated the same way with out disassembly, came out perfect. I do know that Broth9640 (forum name) did disassemble it and had a bitch of a time getting it back together.

...via IH8MUD app

Only I would have done different is yo remove the little bar that slides in/out to lock seat in position. Or have them covered. When coated they are hard to break free. I was able to get a dremel grinding in there to remove the powdercoat and they work fine now.

Hope that makes sense. If not, ask, I will post up a pick of what I mean.

Only I would have done different is yo remove the little bar that slides in/out to lock seat in position. Or have them covered. When coated they are hard to break free. I was able to get a dremel grinding in there to remove the powdercoat and they work fine now.

Hope that makes sense. If not, ask, I will post up a pick of what I mean.
Talked to my powdercoater and he did'nt like the idea of powdercoating a second time after doing it it the seat as far back position. So I think I'll just paint the small area that does'nt get coated, no big deal the seat will be in that position 99.9% of the time anyway the next person will have to deal with it in it's next incarnation (hope it lives a long life after me)Thanks for the tip on the lock mechanism, we're tryin to deal with that.
Now the next question high gloss black or semi-gloss for the brackets, I have to search,but opinions would be gladly accepted. I'm leaning towards semi-gloss, don't know for sure what the original was there's about 5 coats of paint on them now.

I think there is a dimple installed after assembly in the factory. When you slam it forward or backward to get them apart you risk damaging the cage that holds the roller in place. There are also two ball bearings that ride on the side that are retained by this clip. I did get mine apart and I'm certain from looking at the cages that they were damaged long before I tried getting them apart. SOR wants $95.00 each piece for $400 for used sliders. Has anyone used the Jeep sliders by HFS that CCOT sells?

They are rather universal sliders for BestTop seats. But the package weight puts me into additional taxes and fees making them too expensive. I am now looking into designing/fabricating a new cage for the roller/bearings. I'll let you know how this works out.

Hey,
Based on what you said am I missing anything other than the two areas I circled in the photos please? I had mine powder coated a few years ago and not sure if the company that did it removed the bolts are if they weren’t on there to begin with. Thanks

0837DBE3-D820-49AF-960D-2CD30E8A163F.jpeg

D9949401-4484-4336-BCBB-93D88299FAFB.jpeg

94F32B8A-F1E4-4AD7-9C18-715F13C5E652.jpeg

FD5799FD-1329-4BC6-99E5-50FDA7CEFD94.jpeg

just went through the process for a 1981 fj40 seat track. Ended up drilling one of the rivets, bought replacement rivet for that end, and the track slid right off. Rivet seems to motion limit the roller piece on the inside, which there were 2. They came out fairly easily didn’t require much pulling, let’s see if after painting and grease, will they go back together as easily

Replacement Rivet:
Steel Domed Head Solid Rivets, 1/4" Diameter, for 0.375" Maximum Material Thickness

More assembly to come…

IMG_3619.jpeg

IMG_3620.jpeg

IMG_3621.jpeg

IMG_3625.jpeg

IMG_3628.jpeg

IMG_3629.jpeg

IMG_3632.jpeg

IMG_3631.jpeg

IMG_3634.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back