Builds 1977 Build Thread - Project Elsie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So no updates on actual progress, but updates on the progress of spending money!

Got the wheels back and I am super happy with them. I think the white is going to look great with the green.

Also was able to find a great deal on a jump seat that I "put in" (essentially just putting things in place and holding them with a single bolt so I could see how they looked) and it fit great! On the lookout for a second one if anyone has one they want to sell!
IMG_2116[1].JPG
IMG_2115[1].JPG

Updates on actual work getting done! After deciding our plan of attack, we went after the rocker panels. There was NO metal left on the drivers side so we ended up having to take the replacement panel and add another strip of metal so we can weld it in. Passenger side had just enough for us to weld to. Which leads to an exciting update... the passenger side is all welded in! I know there are still many hours of body work ahead, but to just get everything spot welded in is an awesome feeling. In other news, our "Days since Landcruiser related injury" had to get reset to 0 after today. My dad set himself on fire while welding! Attached picture shows the aftermath.
IMG_2133.JPG
IMG_2134.JPG
IMG_2135.JPG
IMG_2136.JPG
IMG_2137.JPG

It is finally primer day for some of the interior of the truck! We also had an issue with the driver's seat bracket essentially almost breaking through the floor. It wasn't on the agenda for this season's repairs. So we took some sheet metal and fabricated a patch. It isn't a permanent solution, but should keep my ass off the pavement all summer anyways.

We are going to use raptor line on the interior of Elsie and started priming the new metal. Still not sure what to do about he exterior metal for the summer. There is more metal to replace and I am not sure that the current color is the one it is going to stay. So i am OK with not doing the body work and painting it this summer, but I need to make sure that it doesn't rust. Open to suggestions if anyone has any!

IMG_2171.JPG
IMG_2172.JPG
IMG_2169.JPG
IMG_2168.JPG
IMG_2167.JPG

Whose rocker panels did you use?

The other replacement steel that I had ordered from Cool Cruisers was so good that I stuck with them. It was surprisingly cheap also.

1586624333175.png

So, in what would have been an exciting day, we got all the prep work done to spray in the raptor liner. Then after the 3 hour prep, we open the first liter of raptorliner and it is a off white color. Interesting. Is the color on the bottom and it turns black when you shake it? Does the hardener change it to black?

Nope. Neither of those. I accidentally bought the 'Un-Tinted' variety of Raptorliner when I ordered it. Appearantly it can be tinted using 2k paint or packets that Raptorliner will sell you for $25 a liter. No thanks. So I went ahead and reorder the BLACK 4 liter set off Amazon and it should be sometime before May 10th.

Also in related news, Amazon will not let you return things like Raptorliner,so there is that. I guess I will keep it around since it is tintable and find a use for it? Who knows.

IMG_2174[1].JPG
IMG_2175[1].JPG
IMG_2176[1].JPG

So fast forward a couple days and the raptor liner (black) came in and we were able to spray. I highly recommend raptor liner if you are looking to do this to your truck. It is a little on the expensive side, but it really did go on easy and I think that the finished (not 100% cured yet) product looks great.

IMG_2188.JPG
IMG_2189.JPG
IMG_2190.JPG
IMG_2191.JPG
IMG_2192.JPG

So fast forward a couple days and the raptor liner (black) came in and we were able to spray. I highly recommend raptor liner if you are looking to do this to your truck. It is a little on the expensive side, but it really did go on easy and I think that the finished (not 100% cured yet) product looks great.

View attachment 2283580View attachment 2283581View attachment 2283582View attachment 2283584View attachment 2283585
I gotta question for you and the crowd: Does putting bed liner on the top rail interfere with the hardtop going on? I’m (eventually) going to line the interior of my tub and the kid likes using the top rail as a step, so lining it would make sense. My hang up is one day I may want to put a hardtop back on and I don’t want to be dealing with cleaning that up.

I gotta question for you and the crowd: Does putting bed liner on the top rail interfere with the hardtop going on? I’m (eventually) going to line the interior of my tub and the kid likes using the top rail as a step, so lining it would make sense. My hang up is one day I may want to put a hardtop back on and I don’t want to be dealing with cleaning that up.

Mine doesn't have a hard top (and probably never will) so we didn't bother taping up the top rail. I would imagine it might though, if we did have the top we would have for sure taped it off.

So today was the day! Finally got everything back in and went for a drive. We still have some loose ends to tie up (lights, tailgate, both seatbelts, etc) but if ran like a champ. It was a great day for the whole family going for a ride! Not sure when it is getting painted, but I had to put the emblems on. I know that it would have been better to wait, however... I wanted them on!

We were able to get one of the seatbelts on before we ran out of time and now that we know how they go on (cool cruisers mod, once you figure it out it was easy but I mean maybe like one little sheet of paper or something? Anyways they are great.) we will get the second one on next weekend. Side steps and bumperettes also come this week, so the build for the spring appears to be done and time to enjoy the Summer!

IMG_2201.JPG
IMG_2200.JPG
IMG_2202.JPG
IMG_2197.JPG

Another day and another day closer to being done for the spring. Got working on getting the tailgate insert but back on and the spare tire carrier mounted. Mainly just mounting for the ease of drilling holes. It all needs to come off at some point so we can apply whatever rust preventive we are going to go with. Still not sure what exactly to put on there. Also got the exhaust completely replaced. Helped a TON with the gas smell, but smells like there is still a little more work that can be done at the carb to cut down on it even more.

IMG_2204.JPG

Well we decided to go a different route and just try and get the whole thing done at once. Ended up taking off the front body panels and had someone come out and sandblast them and the rest of the truck. Over all it went great and only uncovered one extra hole that we need to patch. Fenders and new bumper are on their way here this week, so we are now looking for a body shop to do the body work and paint! The only piece that we needed to find a replacement for was the the front bib (mine was completed rotted at the bottom). Lucky for me I met a great guy via my post in my area and was able to meet up with him and get a replacement locally. It was a major help, thanks again Bill!

IMG_2227.JPG
IMG_2228.JPG
IMG_2229.JPG
IMG_2232.JPG
IMG_2233.JPG

Started some priming yesterday! Also our first attempt at some bondo work. We fully plan on the body shop that paints it to have to do some touch ups, but overall think it went pretty well. Still on the lookout for body shops in SW Missouri if anyone has any suggestions. Only able to get the parts done, ran out of time with having to prep the actual truck.

Also had to perform surgery on my old bib and the one that was donated to us. Between the two were able to construct we though was a great looking one!

IMG_2260.JPG
IMG_2262.JPG
IMG_2263.JPG

Priming day!

In an attempt to slow down the flash rusting on the bare metal, we decided to put a couple coats of primer on even though the body work was still rough. All in all we think it turned out pretty good! We knew going in that the body work wasn't finished and wasn't going to look great, but for a couple of first timers I would say that it is looking better than OK!

IMG_2279.JPG
IMG_2280.JPG
IMG_2282.JPG
IMG_2283.JPG
IMG_2284.JPG

Since the search for a body shop to finish the project has been unsuccessful (still in the market by the way if anyone can refer me!), we decided to paint the easy stuff black and start putting her back together so it can at least be enjoyed primed until I can find someone willing to take on the project.

I have heard a bunch of negative things about the replacement fenders, but they went on pretty much bolt on. There is a little bit of separation between the fender and the apron, but we have also spent next to no time attempting to fit. I am thinking we can get it pretty snug. Anyways, think the powder coating on the fenders and sidesteps have a nice contrast to the primer actually!

IMG_2286.JPG
IMG_2287.JPG
IMG_2288.JPG

After getting some estimates back from some body shops (5 - 8k!! yikes) We decided that we are going to paint it ourselves. Only problem with that is my partner in the project is going to be out until the fall due to medical issues. So since it would just be sitting there anyways, decided to just put her together and drive her primed this summer! Need to get the windshield back on and a couple other tweaks, but just one more work day and there will be another FJ40 on the road in SW Missouri!

IMG_2294.JPG
IMG_2295.JPG
IMG_2296.JPG
IMG_2297.JPG
IMG_2298.JPG

Finished up the work today! She has some rough spots, but definitely turned out looking nice. Hot day driving home (about 30 miles) and was fine. However when I started it back up it went like 15 feet and died, then ran fine for awhile then died.... I am thinking vapor lock, but need to do some more diagnostic. (Just when you think you are out...)

Should be the last post for awhile, planning on picking it up in the fall and just enjoying it for the summer!

IMG_2302.JPG
IMG_2303.JPG
IMG_2304.JPG
IMG_2305.JPG
IMG_2306.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom