1977 Bj40 with starter relay issue, can some one recommend a replacement ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi noobie here, been reading the site for quite a while, its very helpful...thank you.

I have a 1977 Bj40, B engine 12 volt system originally from Costa Rica, now in Ontario Canada.

My starter relay is in question and today, the truck won't start. I had the starter rebuilt, was ok other than the click for months,

a mechanic said it was the relay, that was giving me the intermitted issues, as the multi meter indicated.

Silly me, I tried to clean it (wd40, sand nuts &connections) and now it maybe the cause that it won't run. the part for this relay is 28300-47010 as attached in pics located under passenger side dash, next glow plug relay.

A 3 pole 12 volt potentially original unit. I actually have 4 wires connected to the unit ( single on the centre pole, one on top, and 2 on lower.

1. can I replace it with any similar relay?
2. any recommendations... as i have searched unsuccessfully for this specific part .

I appreciate your wisdom in advance, as I am sure ill be asking more questions.

0-1.jpeg
0.jpeg

Hi noobie here, been reading the site for quite a while, its very helpful...thank you.

I have a 1977 Bj40, B engine 12 volt system originally from Costa Rica, now in Ontario Canada.

My starter relay is in question and today, the truck won't start. I had the starter rebuilt, was ok other than the click for months,

a mechanic said it was the relay, that was giving me the intermitted issues, as the multi meter indicated.

Silly me, I tried to clean it (wd40, sand nuts &connections) and now it maybe the cause that it won't run. the part for this relay is 28300-47010 as attached in pics located under passenger side dash, next glow plug relay.

A 3 pole 12 volt potentially original unit. I actually have 4 wires connected to the unit ( single on the centre pole, one on top, and 2 on lower.

1. can I replace it with any similar relay?
2. any recommendations... as i have searched unsuccessfully for this specific part .

I appreciate your wisdom in advance, as I am sure ill be asking more questions.

View attachment 2433344View attachment 2433345
A mother BJ40 12V guy w starting issues here did you ever get it fixed? I'm searching for relay and solenoid, myself.

I guess you can open the relay and re-wind the coil if its burnt out.
Otherwise any similarly rated relay should do the job - as a classic Mini enthusiast my mind suggests the 13H5952, but I guess there are many options.

Excellent! My first car was a '66 Cooper. What a fun little beast. Thanks for the info.

Excellent! My first car was a '66 Cooper. What a fun little beast. Thanks for the info.
I bet you wish that you hung onto that one. Not many about now. Personally I prefer the 1275GT - the extra 3" in the engine bay makes for less frequent knuckle injuries

I do wish that I'd kept it. As well as my '68 XKE series 1.5 roadster. Both knockle buster but the Jag was a bit more frustrating Got more dates with it, though..
I imagine they both languished in a scrapyard and turned tp rust. Sigh

Any relay with the capacity to handle around 40A and with flyback diode protection can be used.

I am not familiar with that particular cannister style you have but the equivalent relay on the HJ47 engines can be opened up and the contacts dressed if they are pitted.. a light sanding with an emery board or sand paper (240 grit perhaps).. this was mine..

1709244932576.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom