1976 ignition question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
.I usually leave the keys in the ignition on my rigs. When I do that in my 40, in the off position, my coil is powered on. It heated up and ran my battery down. What's going on here? It's all factory original stuff. thanks

Might be your ignition switch. It's pretty easy to replace. The inner contacts wear thin after hundreds of starts and can arc out. Mine had the opposite effect when it went bad. Could not shut the starter off and wasn't quick enough at disconnecting the battery before my positive terminal melted off. Fun times!

Good luck!

Thanks for the input. What I don't understand is how just inserting the key in the ignition would affect the contacts in the switch.

Thanks for the input. What I don't understand is how just inserting the key in the ignition would affect the contacts in the switch.
It wouldn't. The key tumbler is separate from the ing switch. The switch basically bolts on to the back of the tumbler. What color is the hot wire going to the coil?

I think you can take the clam shell off and remove the switch from the tumbler. I think there's 1 screw holding it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom