1976 FJ40 Wiring Harness/Fuse Box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ackcruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
I’m starting a new thread as my previous one Ih8mud’s server had an error and it reposted my same message many times. Anyway, I have a 1976 FJ40 built in Japan for the Colombia market. I’m looking to bring this back to the original wiring harness as outlined in the wiring diagram.

1/Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 1976 non US/Canadian truck?

2/Has anyone done this with their South American FJ40? Or, US Spec that was hacked over time?

3/Is it possible to simply buy the aftermarket fuse panel for a 1976 truck and connect it to existing harness? If so, anyone have any pictures or suggestions of this process? I’ve done it on sailboats but never on an automotive fuse pabel.

My fuse panel images are below:

4428C9F5-0ADD-40D5-93F5-2D74367839C4.jpeg

80EA2D0F-4038-4015-98B4-80A6B6CF6E68.jpeg

Thanks!

Last edited:
I will first state that I have never seen a schematic for a non-USA 1976 FJ40 nor have I ever seen the harnesses for one. For all I know the 1976 FJ40 trucks built for the Columbian market may have come with what you are showing.

To first answer the question about buying a USA 1976 fuse panel and putting it in place of that fuse panel, the short answer is no.
The USA fuse panel uses glass fuses and has plug in multi-contact connectors to attach the fuse panel to the harness. The fuse panel you show uses ATC style fuses and the wires are connected directly to the fuse panel terminals.

What I find odd is that there appears to be striped wire used indicating that the harness may be Toyota, but a much later year (because of the ATC style fuses) and possibly not a Land Cruiser harness at all. I personally do not see a reason to replace that fuse panel if it is working.

What other issues are you having that makes you want to replace the fuse panel?

As I had stated in the other thread, If you have a left hand drive FJ40, a 2F engine and all the dash switches are US style then you can buy a USA Federal Spec (Califirnia Spec if you live in the Smog Nazi state)1976 FJ40 harness and swap it in.

@Coolerman “smog Nazi state”, love it! How are you Mark? Tom

7388520_primary_225px.jpg

@Coolerman thanks for your help. I've searched for a wiring diagram for a 1976 non US/Canada FJ40 with no success. As soon as I find it, I'll post it. With regard to my fuse panel, the brand is Sasaki and the Fuse Block Terminal (image attached) has the wire crimped into the 1-way terminal. The ATC style fuse connects into the other end. The terminals are corroded, dusty, loose and old. When I knock the panel or drive the truck, the heater fuse gets loose shutting down that system. The wires you see that are striped are red paint over spray from the PO.

I'm going to solve my wiring mystery and my goal is to install a 1976 US modified harness into the truck with no emissions systems. If anyone who has a Colombia or South American FJ40 from 1974 - 1977 can you post some images of your fuse panel and harness?

Last edited:
It isn't just the "FJ40, 43, and 45 (except USA and Canada) 1975 onwards," diagram in the old Hayne's manual?

Does your truck have an igniter on top of the coil? Is there a Vacuum Switching Valve that is monitoring the fuel vapor back into the intake manifold at a barb 90 degrees to the PCV inlet?

Last edited:
There are a few details missing in the harness above, depending on how the truck is used. You might want to add a Black/Yellow from the coil to the starter, it provides a source of higher voltage from the starter to the coil during cranking, and lets you use a USA-spec starter if you ever install one. Also, with ethanol in today's gasoline, and a million other considerations, I'd run a line to a possible electric fuel pump off of the Engine slot in the fuse block terminating on the passenger side of the firewall, unless the truck has to be perfect-to-spec, period correct. The diagram does not reflect a USA style front combination light, but that is just details. Also, most modern radios need an always-on source, which could come from the Lighter slot in the fuse block. The rear heater fan, and heater controls light (under the dash), and the dashboard light could be other considerations.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom