Builds The LF40 Wheeler Build - Twin Turbo & 8 Speed Auto FJ40 (21 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Took a few more pictures in the snow.

20211224_155317.jpg

20211224_155344.jpg

20211224_155446_50.jpg

Yassss! I love the white walls!

You better send me some snow wheeling pictures!

Mike

If we had snow, I totally would. It is way to dry this year.

I like the look of the A/T's on it not that they are a bad tire. I went with 39" Kanati mud hogs I just wanted a tire to do decent on the road and to not wear out my LTB's on the pavement. I was looking at the BFG's but I liked the price of Kanati's better haha.

Your cruiser is looking really good btw. I like your front fenders. I have a set of Metal Tech but havent installed them yet. I want to install them higher like the bottom edge of the hood. Maybe that will be the next thing on mine after it isnt single digit temps it takes to long to get the shop warm enough to work right now, and I have been out chasing coyotes every spare minute I get...

Keep up the great work it is inspiring...

I like the look of the A/T's on it not that they are a bad tire. I went with 39" Kanati mud hogs I just wanted a tire to do decent on the road and to not wear out my LTB's on the pavement. I was looking at the BFG's but I liked the price of Kanati's better haha.

Your cruiser is looking really good btw. I like your front fenders. I have a set of Metal Tech but havent installed them yet. I want to install them higher like the bottom edge of the hood. Maybe that will be the next thing on mine after it isnt single digit temps it takes to long to get the shop warm enough to work right now, and I have been out chasing coyotes every spare minute I get...

Keep up the great work it is inspiring...

Thanks! I bent up those fenders with some guys from work, our head fabricator recommended that style to give clearance for the wheels. They seem to work pretty well, I need to stick some rubber between the fender and body to keep the rocks from flying as much.

My friend is switching jobs, and just happens to work at Discount Tire, so I got these tires for about $280 a pop. I'm not complaining.

What about stretching the body and frame to better fit your 4link?

I wish, but I just got finished with the body, and I really don't feel like hacking it up again. I would rather start a new build if I was going to do that.

I wish, but I just got finished with the body, and I really don't feel like hacking it up again. I would rather start a new build if I was going to do that.
I don't think you give yourself enough credit man. With your skills I think you would make short work of it. It would also look very cool and unique. Just my opinion.

I don't think you give yourself enough credit man. With your skills I think you would make short work of it. It would also look very cool and unique. Just my opinion.

Honestly, I have a plan for what I would do, and it would mostly be tube. I'd strech the body about 1.5"-2", and put the wheelbase to about 117". Build much more of a full bodied 4 seater buggy, with space for a cooler.

Honestly, I have a plan for what I would do, and it would mostly be tube. I'd strech the body about 1.5"-2", and put the wheelbase to about 117". Build much more of a full bodied 4 seater buggy, with space for a cooler.
Sounds like a very different rig all together. Why not just keep the awesome 40 you built, accept it for what it is and start another build. That is probably not the cheapest option but you would have one to drive while building the next one.

Sounds like a very different rig all together. Why not just keep the awesome 40 you built, accept it for what it is and start another build. That is probably not the cheapest option but you would have one to drive while building the next one.

That's pretty much my thought process. I'd love to link this one, but that will probably be about it.

In other news, I ran Eagle Rock and Saran Wrap yesterday. It was fun, pretty slick in the big climbs. There was a lot of locker use.

The 40 did great.

Yeah but that would be a huge investment of time and money compared to just stretching what you have. Have you ever gone through the build thread called Project Going big? A chassis stretch would basically make your 40 that. It ended up being very capable and also very streetable cruiser unlike a buggy. It's a must read if you haven't done it.

Yeah but that would be a huge investment of time and money compared to just stretching what you have. Have you ever gone through the build thread called Project Going big? A chassis stretch would basically make your 40 that. It ended up being very capable and also very streetable cruiser unlike a buggy. It's a must read if you haven't done it.

I havent read that one. Have a link?

It definitely is. Stretching would still be a lot of work, especially since I am going to keep the hard top.

Last edited:
It definitely is. Stretching would still be a lot of work, especially since I am going to keep the hard top.
The main difficulty for stretching the top is stretching the fiberglass in my opinion. But you could just sell the stock fiberglass and build a pop up tent top out of metal or aluminum with a sliding floor for interior access.

The main difficulty for stretching the top is stretching the fiberglass in my opinion. But you could just sell the stock fiberglass and build a pop up tent top out of metal or aluminum with a sliding floor for interior access.
I havent done it personally but i have played with fiberglass repair on boats and on a corvette and it was not that bad. I wouldnt think the roof on the FJ top would bebad especially since it is on the roof and not many would see it...lol.

Don't be scared by fiberglass is all i am saying.

I guess the real question is, is it just linking the back the reason for stretching or are their other benefits you are looking to achieve? do you want 4 seats and cooler room? departure angle? better climbing characteristics of the longer wheel base? 117" with a 2" tub stretch makes me think you would be more "comp cut" look and closer to a zero departure angle.

there was another tan fj40 i saw a article on a while back that was stretched and linked front and rear. looked really well balanaced. I will look for it. IIRC it was like a 6-8" stretch. could barely tell without knowing what to look for.

I havent done it personally but i have played with fiberglass repair on boats and on a corvette and it was not that bad. I wouldnt think the roof on the FJ top would bebad especially since it is on the roof and not many would see it...lol.

Don't be scared by fiberglass is all i am saying.

I guess the real question is, is it just linking the back the reason for stretching or are their other benefits you are looking to achieve? do you want 4 seats and cooler room? departure angle? better climbing characteristics of the longer wheel base? 117" with a 2" tub stretch makes me think you would be more "comp cut" look and closer to a zero departure angle.

there was another tan fj40 i saw a article on a while back that was stretched and linked front and rear. looked really well balanaced. I will look for it. IIRC it was like a 6-8" stretch. could barely tell without knowing what to look for.

I've done plenty of hardtop repair at work, It's just time-consuming to get it nice looking, which sucks.

DJ , I have top im looking to get rid of. Great shape. If you are interested. Early 70’s.
Consider keeping your present rig and start picking up parts for the tube buggy you want to build. 1 tons, LS, automatic and a atlas. This are all over for the picking and are pretty inexpensive. 42’s and beads. That’s what you want to build. Don’t sell your 40.

I make terrible financial decisions.

269962402_7028781303829486_3298246929357495106_n.png
271816090_357011056265623_504996474177052950_n.jpg

Some 12" King 2.0s I got for a really good price, brand new, on FB marketplace.

Can anyone guess where they are going? :rofl:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom