1976 FJ40 Turn signal switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

According to the three wiring diagrams I have, there is no blue wire on the turn signal switch. Is it an aftermarket switch or wiring harness? On the '76 FJ40 the only blue wire is from the fuse panel to the wiper motor and washer pump.

This is what the wiring harness from my 75 FJ40 looks like. This is the wiring from the turn signal / high beam switch on the steering column.

TLC horn wiring.JPG

@Living in the Past knows .........

i think its a non usa option or use not used here in the usa

@Living in the Past knows .........

i think its a non usa option or use not used here in the usa

Believe that is the wire that came from the brake pedal switch when the turn signal and brake shared the same lamp. Didn't need to do anything to the switch when the tail light changed 9/73 except not use the wire.

9/72-9/77 used the same switch. 9/72-9/73 only had the single lamp for tail light, brake light and turn signal. Brake and turn signal shared the same element in the lamp. 9/77+ the turn signal switch changed so when you pulled the handle back the high beams on the headlights would come on. When you released the handle would spring back and headlights would be off.

Last edited:
Believe that is the wire that came from the brake pedal switch when the turn signal and brake shared the same lamp. Didn't need to do anything to the switch when the tail light changed 9/73 except not use the wire.

9/72-9/77 used the same switch. 9/72-9/73 only had the single lamp for tail light, brake light and turn signal. Brake and turn signal shared the same element in the lamp. 9/77+ the turn signal switch changed so when you pulled the handle back the high beams on the headlights would come on. When you released the handle would spring back and headlights would be off.
@ToyotaMatt do you know what the GW wire with the bullet connector in the picture I posted above is for. Wiring diagram shows horn (which is what I am trying to repair on my 9/75 FJ40) but I cannot find the female side under the dash. Does the female side need to connect to the horns? I will have to break open some wire bundles under the dash I guess. Thanks in advance!

@ToyotaMatt do you know what the GW wire with the bullet connector in the picture I posted above is for. Wiring diagram shows horn (which is what I am trying to repair on my 9/75 FJ40) but I cannot find the female side under the dash. Does the female side need to connect to the horns? I will have to break open some wire bundles under the dash I guess. Thanks in advance!

i will refer this question to @Living in the Past , John is my final word in this , i honestly thought NON-usa we usa spec did not use , but he has much more experience on this topic , i am sure ........

sorry i cant be more help

matt

Looked at my 2/73 wiring and have that G/W wire with the bullet connector. It is plug into another G/W wire. Haynes wiring for 72/73 should that wire coming from the stop light switch which is on the brake pedal. 84310-21010 is the turn signal switch part number 9/72-9/77. In 73 that wire was used. I do the horn wire from the horn relay being G/W in 76. What is different is on the 73 the horn completed the circuit internally thru the column. 76 shows a W/B wire leaving the column to complete the circuit to ground elsewhere. My 76 is at another location so can't verify. Where it's ground. A way to check that wire is with the vehicle off and turn signal switch in the middle see that wire has continuity to ground. If it does removed the two turn signal lamps in the tail lights and check again. If it doesn't have continuity anymore that is the brake wire from the older tail lights. If it has no continuity push the horn button in and If it does it's for the horn button. Check all three buttons on the steering wheel. Neither of those pan out I would pull the steering wheel and physically check the wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom