1976 FJ40 second restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Quick update... The Aqualu tub is here. I've stripped the entire wiring harness our of the truck and laid it out. I'm planning to trim it down to the bare essentials. Right now the harness still carries all the emissions leads for the old 2F motor even though we have a GM small block. In addition, the previous owner scabbed in a ton of leads to steal power and just left them taped up. I'll be working through the harness with solder and new wire to basically rebuild it.

If anyone has reworked a factory 2F harness to work with a Chevy small block, I'd love to hear what helped you. In addition to the wiring I'm starting to sand down the frame and I'll be adding a chassis black POR coating to freshen it up. Looks like new stainless brake lines are in order as well. Lots more to go but I feel good about the progress made so far.
chassis and body.jpg

wiring coming out.jpg

wiring harness raw.jpg

Just a quick check in. My weekly updates are on my Instagram but I wanted to update this group on the project so the project isn't seen as dead.

I've got the entire body off and I've sanded down most of the frame (not quite to steel but close). The rear frame channel came off (all 20 rivets) to get the rust out of there. I purchased all new hardware for the reassembly along with an entire new braking system. I'm planning to hit the frame and axles with some spray on POR15 here in the next few weeks. I bought an enclosed trailer to act as an extension of the garage for storage and for transporting parts to the blaster and paint. The small block is being freshened up with a clean new look. I just got heat installed in the shop so I can keep wrenching through the winter. I've asked a few questions of some of the users so, thanks in advance if you get a PM from me asking for help or advice.

011320.jpg

011320A.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom