1976 FJ40 second restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I've been a lurker for years but never had my own profile here. This forum has been an incredible resource for me in the time I've had my cruiser. A little intro, my name is Bryan and I've had a 1976 FJ40 since my Junior year of High School (1997). I just turned 40 and along with my Dad, (screen name BERG) we are restoring this cruiser again and doing it the right way. I'm going to need some help along the way so I'll thank you in advance for looking at my posts and commenting.

I've got a bunch of posts up over on Instagram of past projects. Handle over there is Thedesertsled. I've got much more planned to share with you soon. Nice to meet you all!

IMG_4720.jpg

Let me be the first to say: “I want your garage!”
And “Welcome”
Look forward to more pictures :cheers:

“doing it the right way”

Like not using diamond plate? :)

I do realize that things are a necessity at times ... and that’s why my cruiser is a basket case ... just messin with ya

:)

Welcome to the mud dysfunctional family

@Berg

Any pics from long ago?

“doing it the right way”

Like not using diamond plate? :)

I do realize that things are a necessity at times ... and that’s why my cruiser is a basket case ... just messin with ya

:)

Welcome to the mud dysfunctional family

@Berg

Any pics from long ago?

-------------

Here are a few pictures from the day we got it. My little Bro pictured here with me was about 12 years old at this point. We were both surprised when Mom and Dad brought it home. We had gone to look at it 3 times already and I was certain that my Dad wasn't going to swing it. The grins say it all. We have been all about this cruiser ever since.

And the diamond plate, yes... We didn't realize what the P/O was covering up back then but he must have run out of time, money or both and just put some diamond plate lipstick on it. It did serve us well for over a quarter of a century. Now its time to make sure it is in good shape for another 50 years.

IMG_6739.jpg

IMG_6740.jpg

IMG_6742.jpg

One more question I'm hoping to get an answer to from you guys. We are certain the Aqualu tub is the next step. But first I'm going to cut this thing off and I want to do it in such a way that preserves what is left so that I can either rebuild the tub or sell it. It would take some love to get it right but all the sills are good and it still has some value. So, the question is... How far back from the 45 degree bend in the floor to I cut this thing? I want enough to be able to lay the Aqualu tub on top of my floor board, but I don't want to leave so much that it make the salvage tub useless. Make sense? See my Red line for my "best guess" Thanks in advance for your comments.

IMG_7068.jpg

IMG_7069.jpg

I can’t imagine that running a search query with the key word Aqualu won’t net some results, or that Aqualu won’t ha e a recommendation themselves. But I can easily imagine that the information might not be the same.

If I had to graft a tub (which fortunately I have never had to do) I would not want to have to deal with aligning and welding the ribs ( which often vary year to year, as anyone who’s done a floor repair can attest to) somImwould make the cut somewhere between the seam and the leading edge of the ribs.

As an alternate to Aquala you may want to check this company out - no affiliation

Subscribed -
Yeah, we looked at this one. Need a full 3/4 tub so it was down to CCOT or Aqualu. We are going for longevity so the aluminum makes sense. We have a V8 so this thing is already modified pretty heavily so swapping the tub won't upset the purists.

Hey guys, just checking in. With all the Covid19 closures I've had more time to work on the cruiser. The body is now cut off the frame and one the side of my house. The rails of the body are all in good shape. Meaning, the sill in the back and all the joints to the hard top and doors. It needs inner and outer rockers, fenders and quarter panels. I went ahead and ordered an Aqualu tub which should be coming in the next week or two. I hate to just throw this tub in the trash because with some time and a bunch of panels, it would work as a resto for someone. If you want it, PM me and come and get it. I'm in Utah. I'll keep it on the side of the house for a little while. Hope all is well with you all. This rebuild is making the quarantine a lot more fun. Stay tuned.

Tub off frame.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom