1976 FJ40 Rear axle bearing inner race mystery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While wheeling last night I smell the wonderful smell of gear oil. Look at the drivers side rear and there it is leaking down the tire. Where we live here in FL it’s mostly mud terrain so we had mud and water mixed in dripping as well so didn’t think it was that bad.

I decide to limp home and realize it’s not just the seal when we get some smoke out of the drum assembly. No grinding but definitely a bearing issue.

I think this is odd since I just rebuilt this axle in June and only have 1k miles on it.

We get home and I pull it apart and it seems the inner race, which I didn’t think was used on 1976 models, has slid off the axle and is floating around the shaft. Hence the severe and sudden bearing issue.

Pics:

1. race behind bearing laying axle housing
  2. Axle without the race
  3. Race

What would cause the race to slide off the axle while in use?

Am I right in thinking that a previous owner put an earlier model year axle shaft in this?

If so, can I replace the race with a new bearing and hope to be good?
If not, does anyone have the long side semi-float axle for a 1976 available? 🤷🏻‍♂️😬

9ABFE970-9146-40A2-95C7-D142A63F2F4C.jpeg

2126C3B0-2D38-4CD9-9ABD-95BE2A03768A.jpeg

7C2EA6A5-B20D-4D4F-9AB7-02A367662E45.jpeg

Pulled the passenger side and it has the inner race as well..

Is there a way to tell the difference in axle housings for the earlier models that had innner races to the later ones that don’t?

I wouldn’t think someone put 1973 shafts in a ‘76 housing 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
The earlier axle housing had the lower shock pins welded to the back side of the spring perch. The newer ones had the shock pin on the u bolt plate.

The earlier axle housing had the lower shock pins welded to the back side of the spring perch. The newer ones had the shock pin on the u bolt plate.

Seems I have a newer axle with older shafts. Spring are to the u-bolt plate and the original spring perches are still on the axle and they don’t have a pin for the shocks... unless the pins were removed for the SOA 😂🤷🏻‍♂️

B0DB996A-1FEE-4D86-89C8-8F137238C6F9.jpeg

hi,
i have a BJ40 year 1977 , and this inner race don't exist, the shaft turn directly in the roll bearing
in case of oil leak all the seals of cylinder must be removed ans changed

hi,
i have a BJ40 year 1977 , and this inner race don't exist, the shaft turn directly in the roll bearing
in case of oil leak all the seals of cylinder must be removed ans changed

That’s what I thought I had but it appears a previous owner has put earlier model axle shafts in my ‘76. Seems odd but mine definitely have the inner race.

hi,
it's possible that the SOA has created a overlord on the two shaft , and this one is a longuer
you can save your shoes and drum with a cleaning and degreasing solvent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom