1976 FJ40 info wanted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking at possibly buying a 1976 fj40. It has a badge on it that says: Vehicle Emission Control Information. Gives the engine info, displacement, emission control type, idle speed, time, idle mixture etc.. It says this vehicle conforms to U.S.E.P.A. regulations applicable to 1976 model year new motor vehicles. Added a photo of the badge. My question is: if this badge is on the truck, does this verify it is a north american cruiser? If this badge was put on all cruisers(maybe even if it was just from 1976-on? wouldn't that be the tell tell sign for a north american truck and all you would need to look for? I hear all the chatter about people worrying about the difference between a north american and a south american truck. I've looked up on here stuff about all the clues, dash pads, speedometer, rear marker lights, etc, and heater(wondering because its got the just the front heater, no rear heater) so I was wondering if that rear heater was just an option for the truck. Any info would be appreciate. interested in buying a cruiser, but want to make sure I am getting a north american truck.

US EPA BADGE.jpg

That looks like a hood decal. Hoods can and often are swapped. Just sayin.

For what it's worth, I have that sticker on my 5/76 North American FJ40 but hoods can be swapped as previously said. A US cruiser of that vintage should have 3 point seatbelts in the front, bolt in roll bar, dash pads, disc brakes in front, tire carrier on the driver's side and a 4 speed transmission. If you still have the hardtop it should have ambulance doors. My 76 didn't have a rear heater either but I eventually swapped one in, it's easy.

Last edited:
Spots on the engine head for an air rail would be specific to USA market. The harness is likely different, but, look for a computer on the driver inside firewall - not an easy swap. EGR maintenance lamp.

The model number on a 1976 US market FJ40 hardtop will end with -KCJA. Check the VIN plate on the passenger-side fender. The frame number on the VIN plate should match the number on the frame.

1976 FJ40 engine compartment VIN plate
76 - 03 - GRAutoGallery.jpg

Location of the VIN plate
$76 FJ40.jpg

Location of the frame number
VIN_LOCATION[1].jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom