1976 FJ40: H41 or H42? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ElHefe

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.austinlwright.com
Hey y'all, I'm trying to figure out exactly which tranny is in my 40 and there are several reputable sources that claim the 76 came with the H41 and several others that claim it has an H42. It is a bone stock USA 1976 FJ40.

I'm about to dive into a rebuild and I'm deciding whether to keep the tranny or start looking for another.

H42. Isn't the H41 a non-US tranny?

That's what I thought. I've just been stumbling across a few US websites offering rebuilds for the H41, which is a tad bit confusing.

It's a popular swap due to the lower gearing.

Is it possible to swap an overdrive gear into the H42 in place of the 1:1 gear?

I've never heard of such. If you want better road performance, go with 3.73 diff gears or taller tires.

Actually, now that I think about it, there were some seperate overdrive units such as Fairey overdrives and Ranger overdrives, but I think they're getting a little difficult to find. Advertise for it and you may find one.

Is it possible to swap an overdrive gear into the H42 in place of the 1:1 gear?

I'll be throwing on some 33" by 10.5" rubber overdrives too. Not sure about the 3.73's, but I'm rebuilding practically everything.

You can put the tranny in 1st, rotate the crank in the right direction with a ratchet and count the number of times you have to turn it to get one full rev on the output shaft. H42 is about 3.5, H41 is almost 5.

If the PO didn't tell you it was an H41, it is highly unlikely. That swap is something that would be mentioned in a for sale ad. They're a "popular swap", but probably 1 in 100 rigs has one.

In any case they both have a 1:1 fourth gear.

If you're going to wheel it, you probably don't want 3.7:1 axle gears.

You'll be good with the 33's, that 2F will rev alot more than you would think. Good luck!

Thanks to everyone for the responses.

I am looking into the Ranger OD, but with 33's, I'm hoping the desmogged 2F + rebuilt H42 will be able to get me to the mountains and the hunting spots in a reasonable amount of time.

The tach and 3.73's of my 60 have spoiled me a bit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom