1 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't believe that any Landcruiser, at least in the 40 Series, that had 4 wheel disc brakes. T100's may have had 4 wheel disc brakes but I am not aware of any conversions for the 40 Series. You can get GM conversion kits for front and rear but being more of a performance guy I went with conversions that used Wilwood 4 piston calipers that could be balanced, different piston sizes for front and rear. I don't remember the cost but sometimes you have to pay to get what you want.

I'd service your stock frt brakes and possibly service the knuckles too if needed. Then get a hold of poser or some other vendor and get caliper brackets and machined rotors for the rear. The rest of the stuff can be found almost anywhere.

The brake mod on my '78 FJ40 is as follows:

The front brake calipers & pads are 88-92 V6 4runner. The rotors are stock 76-78 FJ40.
Rear brakes are 78-88 GM midsize (Monte Carlo, Cutlass....) front calipers & pads. Rotors are 88-89 Chevy light duty 1/2T, shortbed 4x4 PU truck. The rotors need to be machined out in the center to slip over the larger Cruiser axle flange, but the 6lug bolt pattern is identical.

I'm a new member and can't dm Poser. How do I contact him for the rear disc conversion?

Yes I know that in '76 they did disc brakes for the first year on the front, but anyways, on my Toyota I don't really want to be doing drum brakes. They are a pain and just don't make sense to have. I want to get a whole disc brake conversion for the Toyota but the kits for all 4 rotors and everything is over 1k usd. That is a lot of money for just brakes. I am wondering if there are any somewhat affordable full disc brake kits off of other Toyotas or other cars that would work without having to make any major modifications. I would do all 4 brakes because the front brakes are shot. Thanks!
The outer steering knuckles are shared with the early live axle 4x4 pickups and FJ60s so you can swap parts. However, if you haven't noticed, everything that
fits a Land Cruiser has become expensive so even if you do find a complete axle from a 60 for less than 500.00, you'll still be nearing that 1000.00 number after replacing
the old worn parts like rotors, bearings, calipers and seals with new parts. A factory disc front end, complete is probably going to set you back at least as much or more.
All the real disc "kits" involve GM calipers from 70~80 mid size cars. The parts are cheap but the rotors will have to be machined before install. Poser and the other vendors do this ahead of time when they sell them in kits. The cool way to get rear discs is to source a non USA, late 80s,70 series rear. Same width as a 40 but factory discs

I don't believe that any Landcruiser, at least in the 40 Series, that had 4 wheel disc brakes. T100's may have had 4 wheel disc brakes but I am not aware of any conversions for the 40 Series. You can get GM conversion kits for front and rear but being more of a performance guy I went with conversions that used Wilwood 4 piston calipers that could be balanced, different piston sizes for front and rear. I don't remember the cost but sometimes you have to pay to get what you want.
Byron, I am curios if you have any part #'s for your Wilwoods. I recently got a set of '78 axles that I am in the process of refurbishing for my '66. The fronts have factory discs but the rears are what I'd like to source. Did you get them from Summit, and if so, what rotors did you use?

Thanks

Byron, I am curios if you have any part #'s for your Wilwoods. I recently got a set of '78 axles that I am in the process of refurbishing for my '66. The fronts have factory discs but the rears are what I'd like to source. Did you get them from Summit, and if so, what rotors did you use?

Thanks

Actually, I got them from TSM but they apparently don't offer the Wilwood conversion any longer. Not sure why but it is what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom