1976 FJ40 - Distributor Issues / Worn Distributor? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have owned my 1976 FJ40 for 5 years now - always been a patina'd driver, nothing fancy but a cruiser. Over the past few weeks it's become increasingly difficult to start (cranks forever, stumble starts a few times, finally gets started) and the idle has now gone to s*** like it's missing on a cylinder or two.

Got it started today and when I went to check the distributor clamp to make sure it's snug and didn't skip timing, I noticed that if I put my hand against the dizzy and place a little pressure on it away from the engine block / towards the passenger fender - the idle instantly jumps up and smoothes out immensely.

Dizzy hold down clamp was tight against the block and snug against the body of the dizzy but I can tell it's not the original screw in the clamp as its got a 3/8's hex nut on it. Tried adjusting the clamp to see if I could hold the position it runs great in but to no avail. Don't think it's just the cap as I can achieve the same results by gently placing pressure on the distributor body or lightly pulling on the vac advance unit.

What am I looking down the pipe of? Does this sound like a dizzy grounding issue? Worn out dizzy? Rotor and cap? Thanks guys!

Which distributor do you have?

With engine off, remove cap and rotor and see if shaft has side to side play. If so distributor (shaft/bushing) is worn. Also where do you have to gap points to get proper dwell? Should be .018. If you have to be in the .012 or lower your shat/bushing is worn. I bought mine new in 1977 and that is one of the few OEM parts (distributor) that I have had to replace due to wear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom